JVC VL-8

Is that the one that's been on the 'Cuse or Utica Craigslist for a bit? Can't tell you how many times I almost replied to that ad (if it's the same one). Nice table.

Is that the one that's been on the 'Cuse or Utica Craigslist for a bit? Can't tell you how many times I almost replied to that ad (if it's the same one). Nice table.

That's the one. Looked better in person, so I offered them their asking price if they ate the sales tax (it was a business). Sounds amazing. Swan Lake playing now... :music:

The cartridge is an XLM Mk III correct? See if you can hunt up a genuine XT-IV stylus for it. Pricey but keep looking you can get a good deal once in a while. Very nice top of the line stylus.

The cartridge is an XLM Mk III correct? See if you can hunt up a genuine XT-IV stylus for it. Pricey but keep looking you can get a good deal once in a while. Very nice top of the line stylus.

This one's a MKII, at least that's what's on the stylus. Look and sounds good, but I'll admit to wondering about an upgrade. New to the world of ADC, and it looks like there's some bit of interchangeability with this make.

Yep,
You are going to have to take an ohm meter ( or inductance meter ) and measure the r ground to right + and l ground to l + resistance ( inductance ). Once you have that we can figure exactly which ADC body you have. There are many threads about ADC XLM cartridges here.

Yep,
You are going to have to take an ohm meter ( or inductance meter ) and measure the r ground to right + and l ground to l + resistance ( inductance ). Once you have that we can figure exactly which ADC body you have. There are many threads about ADC XLM cartridges here.

I will definitely do that and post the results. Just getting acquainted with it now, but this weekend I'm taking it back downstairs for service. Motor is a bit cranky* for the first 15 min., but rock solid after that. I'll check the power supply voltages, bearings, motor mounts, clean the controls, new belt, and remove the cartridge for a through inspection.

* At the start of a session, usually after sitting overnight, motor doesn't turn after starting. A gently nudge gets the platter spinning, and it occasionally drops out for the first side of the album. After that, there's no problems for the rest of the day. Starts and plays normally.

Hopefully a good lube will take care of the issues. Might see about lubricating the spindle bearing while you are in there as well.

Well, if anyone wondered what one of these looked like under the hood...
Built like a tank and weighs in at about 22 lbs. Was shocked when the box holding the power supply started flopping when I turned it over. Thought something was busted, but was surprised to discover that's the way it's supposed to be. The power supply floats on rubber mounts kind of like the motor. The designers went to great lengths to isolate the turntable, it seems. Good news is the motor and power supply mounts look good. The unobtanium rubber feet this thing rides on... not so much. :mad:

20170726_192423.jpg 20170726_192441.jpg 20170726_192453.jpg 20170726_192511.jpg 20170726_192546.jpg 20170726_192559.jpg

Yep,

Measuring 630 Ohms across both channels.

With a resistance of 630 ohms you have the ADC XLM MkII (unimproved) cartridge. The proper and very good I would add stylus is the 114 DET. This NOS stylus is available from Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com ( no affiliation). "Get yours now while supplies last!" As a side note, the improved bodies (IE MkIII) will ohm out at 820 or so ohms. You do not want a XTIV with your body, the sound will be too bright, it is intended for the MkIII bodies. Still you will find the 114 DET in your body to be a very nice combo. It is the cartridge that really put ADC on the map.
Hope this helps.

With a resistance of 630 ohms you have the ADC XLM MkII (unimproved) cartridge. The proper and very good I would add stylus is the 114 DET. This NOS stylus is available from Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com ( no affiliation). "Get yours now while supplies last!" As a side note, the improved bodies (IE MkIII) will ohm out at 820 or so ohms. You do not want a XTIV with your body, the sound will be too bright, it is intended for the MkIII bodies. Still you will find the 114 DET in your body to be a very nice combo. It is the cartridge that really put ADC on the map.
Hope this helps.

Thank you, that helps a lot. Going to take the stylus to work tomorrow and put it under magnification to see how it looks. If good, I may hold off on replacing it so I can focus on my rubber foot problem. May have a fix for that.

Do the feet have a spring or anything in them? It looks like a pretty standard foot. Like in furniture?

They're cupped rubber and are rather soft. Looks like they provide good isolation when functioning properly. I found a pair of feet that appear identical except for the mounting screw from an MCS 6202, so it seems like they're not unique to this turntable, thankfully. Just need to transplant the screw from the old one to the new one.

For future reference, with the exception of the mount screw, the foot on the MCS 6202 is almost indistinguishable from the original JVC foot. Just need to transfer the screw from the smished foot to the new one and I should be good to go. :D

20170802_164312.jpg

Back
Top Bottom