KA-6100 New Filter Caps Bracket Solution

hopjohn

Silver Face
So anyone who has wanted to replace the four main filter capacitors on a KA-6100 has run into the issue of how to retain the use of the capacitor brackets. I've come up with a pretty elegant solution that I thought I'd share.

The original capacitors are 30mm in diameter and 63mm in height. Any modern replacements are going to be considerably shorter. My replacements were 45mm in height for example. Keeping the bracket in its stock position will leave your amp looking like this and lacking any load support for the main PCB.

hhxD7p9.jpg

Firstly drill out the holes where they mount with 2.5mm drill bit. Then tap the holes for M3 ( 3mm x 0.5 ) being careful to catch all the metal shavings with a paper towel stuffed around your work.

Then using a 5mm x 15mm standoff with M3 threading and some M3 hardware we can create a strong extension using the stock mounting points.

APPJO6k.jpg

VfM7MKi.jpg

Attach the standoff with a flat washer on top and bottom, followed by a split washer and nut. Snug it up and the put some threadlock (or nail polish ) on the threads and nut to keep it put.

UpnBXU0.jpg

Now you can attach the bracket in stock-like fashion. If you've already installed the caps just remove the bracket tensioning screw , slip the bracket on the caps from the side, and then reinstall the tensioning screw.

Last edited:
My new caps are shorter and smaller diameter 0.75" .They're Nichicon VR type. Feather weight compared to originals . Looking for options,maybe just just some hot melt glue and the solder joint will be enough ?

Last edited:
I did the glue and it seems fine . If it was just one cap I would have used some foam but its the space between the two that I didn't like. I'm not sure with all the foam you have that the caps/board are really supported . I was looking into putting some dense foam underneath the board . I don't like that the edge of the board is not supported but the new caps are really light in weight .

Back
Top Bottom