KA-8100 or Supreme with transformer?

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by neevo, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:24 PM.

1. neevo

neevo Well-Known Member

I’m having a conversation with someone about buying an 8100. It’s expensive but beautiful condition but the cost is creeping up there and a chunk of that is shipping from Europe to Australia.

The benefits would be I get an amp that I think is gorgeous (not a fan of meters), 220v ready to plug in.

However there is also a Japanese Supreme 500 in Australia for sale that is 100v with a step down transformer. This is also a gorgeous looking amp but I’m wary of the transformer. Are these serious downsides to having a transformer other than another ugly box to find a home for?

Would I ever be able to find a pair of transformers for a Japanese amp and convert it properly to 220v?

What would people do?

I want to do it properly... once.

The Supreme might not even fit in my cabinet so I’d have to check that and I think the 8100 is too expensive too so if I couldn’t find a cheaper one it should be an easy question, or is it?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 11:37 PM
  2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

The supreme should be a fairly standard (44cm) width and 14cm high. Transformers are everywhere, and if you can find the right one I wouldn't let that stop me. The 500 is probably the one I would get if the price was right but these are a bit higher due to a bit of cult following perhaps. Others will chime in with better experience with these models..

I do know they will have to pry my 700C/M out of my cold dead fingers... !

JoelMart2017 likes this.
  3. neevo

neevo Well-Known Member

That’s good to know. If it fits and you think I might be able to snag some transformers one day I might look at that option a little more.

I assume the transformers are the only thing I’d need to change to update it to 220v?

Are there any other concerns with the Supreme 500 over the 8100? I know the 8100 is all discrete parts and therefore much easier to support ongoing. Does the Supreme have any unobtainable parts that would make it riskier?

4. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Not really an electronics guy but I am a retired electrician. I guess the concern might be the hertz, whether it is 50 or 60 cycles. I think this will probably be a non-issue but I'd like for you to confirm that.

There is a thread here by one of the resident techs that went through either a 500 or 600. Not sure which but that would be a good thread to check for potential issues with nonavailability of parts etc.

I had another tech here (Echowars) do the work on my 700c and most of it on my 700m as well. There didn't seem to be anything in the way of parts that couldn't be replaced by modern components. Not certain that sort of availability is the same with the 500/600.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 7:55 PM
  5. neevo

neevo Well-Known Member

Anyone here have a 500? Measuring my cabinet the dimensions are fine for the width and height (450mm (w) x 175mm (h)). The depth of my cabinet is 388mm which is exactly the same as the amp (from Hifi engine). Is that measurement to the back of the feet or will I have fouling issues with speaker connections etc?

6. hopjohn

hopjohn Kenwood Krazy Subscriber

I measured my 600 which has the same dimensions. The 388mm depth is from the front of the faceplate to the the back of the speaker binding posts. You'll need to be able to protrude out the front of the cabinet for the volume knob, switches etc. and a bit of space to make connections as well. The front feet centers are back about 110mm from the face.

7. neevo

neevo Well-Known Member

It’s unlikely to fit in my cabinet then unless I make some big holes in the back which is absolutely a solution.

Sitting on my decision for a few days as I haven’t heard back from the Supreme seller (plus it’s not in mint condition by the looks of it). The 8100 is very much still a possibility but I’m still thinking it’s a bit expensive.