Kappa 6.1 Aquisition

Interesting...any idea if that's the same mid-range used on the RS-II?

I also have a spare pair of 2.5" Polydomes from the RS-IIIa/4/5 series. Spares for my RS-IIIa and RS-5b. Maybe they would work in a pinch.

There's a member working or a new (proper) dome for the 3" Polydomes, so maybe all our worries will soon be over.
Yes, I'm following that thread. I replied that when they are ready to put them on the market, I'll be ready to be a customer.

I also have a spare pair of 2.5" Polydomes from the RS-IIIa/4/5 series. Spares for my RS-IIIa and RS-5b. Maybe they would work in a pinch.

There's a member working or a new (proper) dome for the 3" Polydomes, so maybe all our worries will soon be over.
It appears that the RS II have the same mids. If the model numbers are a match, I have no idea. Size , shape, materials and design appear to be the same. I believe mine tested out around 4 ohms. Same as the polydomes.

Amazing difference between the two settings.
I guess my adc sound shaper is going back into service and used with my 7s. Have not used with the musical groups I mentioned earlier. It will be interesting to see if dialing the low end back that far makes the difference. Dialing it back on the preamp seemed to take to much away from the music.
My ADC Sound Shaper made the difference with my 7 kappas. Balanced out the bass. It' smoothed everything out with the music groups I mentioned.

I checked tech specs. RS II mids are the same. 902-0632 With my 7 kappas, I used a 1/4 inch spacer when mounting the polycone. The frames top diameter s just a tad wider than the polydome. I'm not sure if you will need to do the same with the .1s or .2s.

Last edited:
Update: I finally had time to do surrounds on only one of the CS 3008's. I would have done the 2nd but nothing gets in the way of.concentrating on my Bears football game. Nice sound with good bass extension. I found the mid-bass a little forward but it tamed right up by rolling off a little at 1K. Here's some pics of the cabs and insulation. I like that the mid-bass and mid drivers are isolated with tubes front to back. Both are packed tight right to the back of the drivers. I may play around with the bass compartment insulation but later after the other one is done and they are placed. The cabs are very heavy and well built. I think I'm really gonna enjoy listening to these big boys.

Attachments

• 20181118_164006.jpg
    20181118_164006.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181118_164017.jpg
    20181118_164017.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181118_164032.jpg
    20181118_164032.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181118_164100.jpg
    20181118_164100.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181118_190113.jpg
    20181118_190113.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 23
Update: I wanted to make sure the new surrounds were well broken in and any caps reforming in the crossovers complete so after a month or so of side by side listening the CS3008's will be my keepers over the Kappa 6.1's. It was a close race with both sounding very similar in the high and low ends of the spectrum. It was the Crescendo's mid and mid-bass fullness that won me over.

With both using the same Kappa emit tweeters of course they were very similar, almost identical in the top end. Both were crisp and clear through the mid-ranges but the Kappas just didn't fill the room quite like the 4-way 3008's. I still love that Polydome though, it's quite a sweet sounding mid. The bass from the 3008's was a little fuller too, with it's 10" woofer and large rear port, but not much over the front ported Kappas. Both suffer from what I have come to call "busy bass reverberations". That is, while listening to jazz or Steely Dan or similarly crisp and not busy content the bass is nice and tight. When listening to rock or other music with rapidly repeating low notes both pairs tend to muddy up with a kind of reverberation that I've described in posts above. At low to medium volume it's not as much an issue. I've experimented with various amps, receivers, and EQ's with the same results. To some this could be construed as normal but to my ears it's not. I guess this confirms me as decidedly preferring the quick and clean bass associated with acoustic suspension speakers. Room acoustics can be ruled out as well because my big Kefs, AR 52s', and even Infinity Qb's don't sound that way to me positioned similarly.

I can't keep both pairs so the Kappa 6.1's will be moved along. I probably will feel differently when I score a set of Kappa's a little higher up the food chain or one of the non-ported models. It's been fun. Next up is to sideline these pairs and A/B the Qb's and the pair of RSb's I haven't given enough listening time to.

Just so you all don't label me crazy or "bass-hater" here's the EQ settings I settled in on for the AR58s with non-stock tweeters.

A bit off-topic. What happened with the AR58S tweeters? Why the use of "non-stock tweeters"? My AR58S's aren't bright. I just wonder if the replacements are causing issues?

Nice job on the Infinity's. It's a shame the 6.1's aren't working out.

Hey StimpyWan. Good to hear from you. The 58S simply went on the back burner when these Infinity pairs came my way. They need some cabinet lovin' and stuff, they aren't going anywhere as I like them too much and have little invested in them. The Avid tweets came with the 58S's and I still think they are kind of bright. They just don't have that EMIT yumminess I find so mesmerizing with the Infinities. Until I find OEM tweeters I may try a series resistor but it will be trial and error because I don't really know what I am doing lol.

As far as the overall EQ settings for the 58S I might have exaggerated them a bit. I'm pretty sure the cabinets need sealing, maybe some bracing, and I'm not sure of insulation because I've never opened them up so I boosted the bass a bit. They will be getting the love they deserve trust me.

Revisiting this thread I realized I never posted a pic showing how much bigger the CS3008's are than the Kappa 6.1. It's a pretty significant difference. Here you go:

Attachments

• 20190112_115010.jpg
    20190112_115010.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190112_115010.jpg
    20190112_115010.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190113_231829.jpg
    20190113_231829.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 30
I sold the Kappa's to a very happy camper. I listened to the 6.1's daily for over a month, bi-amped and very pleased with the bass toned down a little. Plus the refoams really needed that break in time and the bass tamed itself nicely, even not when bi-amped. Sorry to see them go but moving on....

Back
Top Bottom