Kappa 9 black oak. Is this oiled or lacquered?

That's black paint. If you can match it, you'll have success in covering those scratches up.

That's black paint. If you can match it, you'll have success in covering those scratches up.
Agreed. Get out the old black Sharpie pen. If that isn't good enough, go to the auto parts store and get bottle bottle of Dupicolor touch up paint.

Black paint is a tricky match! Try a few on the bottom of the speakers first, and wait until the paint is completely dry before you check for a good match.

Sharpie or shoe polish are easy. This should be good enough. Paint is a little trickier.
The suggestion: "Try a few on the bottom of the speakers first, and wait until the paint is completely dry before you check for a good match." is good advice.

I showed my photo in manufacture for the restoration of antique furniture. They say, should be completely repainted. Because local repairs will be seen and the old paint will still deteriorate elsewhere. I don't think it is necessary to completely repaint my Kappas is now. Maybe someday...

Stereo Review Oktober 1987 affirms that the Kappa light oak is oiled. On the YouTube so much oiling wood video, and I think the kappa light oak true. I don't see differences between light and black Kappa, except color. The rest of their cover looks the same and with the same degree of gloss. Perhaps Kappa black is oiled too?

Furniture oil is possibly colored and opaque. Is applied instead of the lacquer or paint. It makes the visible tree structure. Defects such coverage shall be subject to a local repair.

Sorry for my bad English.
post-11811-0-35840900-1391466180.jpg

Last edited:
They are definitely not oiled, the black is painted and the oak is stained then clear coated, here are some pics below of my k9's that were black when I bought them new, I wanted oak but only black was available at the end of the k9's run so I changed the color the next day after I purchased them 26 or so years ago and they still look good today, I taped them up with news paper so the drivers wouldn't get any dust on them and sanded them down with an electric sander then I stained them in walnut and put 5 coats of polyurethane on them, I left the black color in the fluted edges, they were actually not that hard to do, I think they turned out nice.

Last edited:
Radical solution. As far as I can judge from photographs on the Internet, all black Kappas have a problem with the coating is in the fluted edges because of their age. Usually in other locations the paint still good.

From the pics you posted it looks like the wood has dried out and split a little, I would try the black shoe polish near the bottom of the speaker and let it dry for a few days to see if it matches, I had a pair of ren 90's in black ash that looked the same as your k9's, I used a water based black satin finish paint to match/touch it up.

Last edited:
I wanted oak but only black was available at the end of the k9's run
I bought my speakers two years ago on german Ebay, and never before that have not seen them in real. The choice of color was really difficult for me because I like the light oak and the black oak. In the end, I chose the black color, it is best combined with my interior and heavy music that I listen to.

Later, I learned about the existence of santos rosewood version, which is very rare. One time I saw it kappa 9 on sale. But their crossover was modified.

One a guy says that he bought Kappa 9 with the cabinets of cherry wood http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-30-12038-736.html
(scroll down the page and use the Google translator)

And here are selling Kappa 8 piano black http://www.quoka.de/hifi-audio-tv-v...finity-kappa-8-klavierlack-einzelstuecke.html
But I doubt that it was done by the manufacturer

I never seen any kappas in those colors, they must be custom refinish jobs like mine, my speakers look slightly darker in color than a stock oak kappa 9, a stock oak kappa 9 to me has a golden/honey look to them, I stained my 9's in "special walnut" color and cleared them in satin poly, mine have more of a brownish tint to them when compared to stock k9's , it's hard to capture their true color in my pics.

Last edited:
Kappa 9 in rosewood santos http://www.minhembio.com/pjolle/335922/
They are produced by the manufacturer, there is also a another kappa models in this color. There is another tree, not finish.

The cherry wood version does exist. This can be seen from another wood structure, as well as the top panel consists of two parts. The width of the cherry tree does not allow to do single part.

k9-eiche-vs-kirsche-2_185834.jpg

If they exist I wonder why there were so few of them made, maybe they were prototypes

Last edited:
Well not sure if there prototypes ? But they do exist !!! I own a pair of Kappa 8s in the same Cherry color, and yes 2 pieces as well on top. Here are a few pictures and the serial number. I didn't know they where so rare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 40
Well not sure if there prototypes ? But they do exist !!! I own a pair of Kappa 8s in the same Cherry color, and yes 2 pieces as well on top. Here are a few pictures and the serial number. I didn't know they where so rare.
I never seen k9's or k8's in cherry before, they must be very rare, I bet they look really nice in person.

Here is a pic of my Kappa 8s. I believe they are the Santos Rosewood color. I like it much better than the honey oak on my Kappa 7s. Were the Rosewood an Cherry versions special order or extra cost options?

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom