Kasual Klipsch Enkounters

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by musichal, Aug 24, 2017.

1. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Well answered, and exactly the case. Anyway, it is KKE.

TomBig58 and chip18sw like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Te-Te

Te-Te Learning never exhausts the mind. Subscriber

When I was a kid, my friends father was always ahead of the times with just about everything. One day he explained to me his audio system, I honestly was not sure what he was saying to me. So he said let me just play a tune and then you'll get it. He told me to sit in an exact spot in his audio room and hit play on his reel to reel. He played Moving In Stereo by the Cars, I sat there stunned while I listened to the song that I had heard many many times before. He stood proudly next to one of the speakers and when the song was over he said, " These my friend are Cornwalls, and they make all the difference." He had many other speakers in that room, but those were his babies. When I could afford it, in my late teens, I bought a pair of Forte II's. Later on in life I was offered a very good deal on a pair of KG4's, but man oh man, I'll never forget his Audio system with those Cornwall's.

musichal likes this.
  3. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Had coworker/ friend come over with his young teenage son who had never seen speakers as big as the Klipsch Bell's. My friend smiled knowing of my passion. I asked him what he liked. AC/DC he replied. I dialed that in via Google and his eyes got wide. He then asked what "those" were pointing to the vinyl records. Lol. I pulled one out and he had a perplexed look on his face. His dad laughed. I put it on the turntable and he was in awe experiencing his first sound via vinyl.
    Maybe, just maybe years from now he'll remember this and want one for himself.

Searing75 and musichal like this.
  4. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Though not Khorns, my son stopped by shortly after I acquired my 5.5s. "Hey..those are pretty big..how do they sound?" Asked him what he wanted to hear, so I popped Weezer's "Hash Pipe" into the CD & hit go. Song ends...he asks "So...how much do you want for them?" Told him they'd be in my will and keep his finger crossed:)

musichal and Te-Te like this.
  5. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Having sold my Khorns and replaced them with small Monitor Audio Towers and a couple subwoofers - to the surprise of many here, and somewhat to myself, as well - my encounters re Klipsch have ended. Visitors don't hang out in our bedroom where the Fortes continue to sound great.

I have been critical of some aspects of Khorn sound, both generally and in my space. However, despite its imperfections, the Khorn excels in some areas, as most of us in this forum tend to agree, I believe. Space and good corners allow them to shine - with only one good corner, a room not quite large enough, and the speakers necessarily located too close together, they still sang pretty well. I don't regret buying them - they were fun and turned quite easily back into the cash I paid for them. They really hammered home the importance of matching speaker to room and placement,

I once had an audio customer who put a pair of Khorns in a small 8x10 spare-bedroom-turned-listening-room. Sounded awful to me and my cohorts, but the owner was ecstatic. Go figure. When I got mine, I was blown away by the sound for awhile, but over time became unhappy that they weren't sounding as good in my space as I have heard in the past in a showroom and in a few customer homes. The mighty Klipschorn can still tingle a spine or two, and if you have the right room and the inclination, go for it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Marine0811 likes this.
  6. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

Once I went to a food forum to learn about snacks...the very first thread had the word Cracker in the title! OMG...I fled in terror and hurt feelz.

TRwexx and chip18sw like this.

7. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I can totally see that ... those bastards!

fredgarvin likes this.
  8. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Can you imagine what would happen if Krispy Kreme and Cracker Barrel ever merged? Such confusion!!!

fredgarvin likes this.
  9. Zygmo

Zygmo Super Member

Sometime after finishing our music room and getting the system with the Corner horns going, we had a party. A relative dropped by, and was looking at the speakers while they were playing barely loud enough to hear. He mentioned how big they were, and asked how much power they will take. I told him 100 watts. He looked shocked and said that his (Cerwin Vegas, I think) would take 500 watts, or something like that. So I showed him the power meters, and how to read the continuous wattage produced.
    I put something on that he liked, and told him to have at it. I really like my music loud, so I knew he was not going to bother me. He started cranking the volume while watching the meters, and I could tell he was going way beyond what he normally would listen to before finally giving up. That was no doubt the loudest 20 watts or so he'd ever heard. LOL And the amps didn't even know they were working.

John James, Te-Te and LAB3 like this.
  10. Kingfisher

Kingfisher AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's all my fault since I posted the Klipsch Klubhouse thread. I think I *kreated* a monster....:oops:

11. fordiebianco

fordiebianco Member

Interesting times, as I will be exchanging my RF-52 MkIIs with a nearly mint pair of KG 4.5s. To make sure I haven't made a mistake, I will demo them with a mix of digital solid state (Denon AVR4600/DENON dbt-3312) vs Tube/T-amp (Aric Audio Expression, Trends Audio TA-10.2P SE).

Who do you think will win, and what are the recommended showstoppers?

12. silversport

silversport Super Member

those who wish to see a slight will find it and those who choose to ignore one will ignore it...the letters to the words of this thread are as mentioned KKE...

I'm reminded of when Chevrolet reintroduced the SS sedan in 2014...several writers were astonished as to why Chevrolet would use the letters of an organization in the German Nazi party and that it was offensive to Jews in particular...many of us who are fans of the Super Sport vehicles reminded those aghast at its use that it was a Jew who's family fled Nazi Germany named Zora Arkus-Duntov who chose the letters SS for his Corvette Super Sport in 1957...apparently he didn't find malice in those letters where malice didn't exist...

Bill

chip18sw likes this.
  13. fmalloy

fmalloy Member

Yep. Young folks want to open a Google Home/Apple HomePod/Sonos, plop it down and stream to it. They're not even bothered that it's mono, unless you buy two, which people generally don't do.

I have Heresys. I'm thankful that I could actually afford Cornwalls, LaScalas, or even K-horns, but the wife...sadly, the Heresy was the largest she'd accept.

Everyone sees the Heresys and comments on how "huge" they are. Folks are used to tall, thin tower speakers or those terrible little Bose cubes. Then they hear the sound, and I say "it's pretty hard to get big sound out of little boxes".

Te-Te, RT Fan, LAB3 and 1 other person like this.