KC Area AK get together - June 2

I'll bring a veggie tray with ranch dressing.

I'll be bringing a MusicHall DAC 25.3 (upgraded) for Kurt's DAC shootout / compare. And the xmos 208 spdif converter.

Packing up here. Severe storms just missed to the north and south, which is good because I don't wanna do a Doc Brown
bttf_wes_featured.jpg

and that would be too much wattage for the experiment!

Good morning, I know this is last minute but I would like to attend this event today. Is there anyway of getting the location. Can't seem to find how to contact Kurtgo.

Last edited:
IMG_0889.JPG Jokes on you, there IS no good side on that!

The Epic Atlantic Oracle Triple Stack was a bit of a disappointment IMO. Those speakers have plenty of bass normally, but once you get em off the floor like that you lose so much bass reinforcement that the whole balance changed. The smaller pair on top sounded better by themselves down on the floor than all three stacked up. Not to mention the comb filtering.

IMG_0888.JPG Also a special thanks to Kurt for sharing his musical journey and a darn sweet stereo! Your enthusiasm for sharing anything and everything you've found out, without the smallest hint of audio snobbery, is what AK is all about.
If you decide you need some 'musical' speakers to complement those 'detailed' Genesis 5.2, call me up. LOL

Sorry I missed things yesterday. My car decided to act up on my by throwing multiple misfires on all cylinders. Don't know what the problem is, and with only one arm usable, I'm not sure how I am going to get it fixed. Maybe next time-assuming there is a next time.

It was great having everyone over and the help was very gracious and welcome. Glad that a few 1st time meeting AK'rs came out. I have way too much food left and of course the pecan pie was to die for - according to my wife. Thanks Barbara. Here's another photo of Tox's EATS as he so appropriately and fondly called his experiment. And his butt again. I don't know what's up with that.
WallOfSoundexperiment06022018.JPG

And the DAC shootout, in my opinion, was a success. It further confirmed by thoughts about the TEAC 501 Dac - it's just hohum. So much for the raving reviews. I know other "attached" equipment has a lot to do with it as well, but - the Musical Fidelity 25.3? sounded good and then with a wider soundstage when BigElCat switched something on - the Maverick Audio D2 from Guy Ornes was just as good and I had a Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11 that we finished up with and it did well.
DACrunoff06022018.JPG

There was a ton of knowledge being bandied about and a lot of helpful hands. BigElCat just dove in and hooked up about every connection we had. And of course Guy - thanks for the tunes, again.

Tox is right - the 2 small ones sounded better than the 6 in total. He went right after hooking up the 3 amps into 2 preamps so that was interesting.

Thanks everyone for making it fun and successful.

It was so nice to hang with good people that enjoy talking about what I love.
Truly enjoyed meeting all you guys.

Kurtgo, thanks again to you and Merriam for hosting. You have a beautiful home.

2020, thank you for giving my lonely Dual orphan a home.

It was pretty funny when everyone started pulling out their phones and showing pictures of their favorite gear. These boxes are like our children in some ways.

Looking forward to the next meet!

Back
Top Bottom