KEF 103.2 Recap Question

NJAudioGuy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have an untouched original pair with regular binding posts, so I guess they are a later version.

Does anybody have the cross-over schematics and how hard a job is it to redo the crossover with modern caps etc?

Thanks

Also check with Falcon Acoustics.... they are the source for exact replacements of the Caps in the KEF's... if you want them sounding like they were intended to sound, use AL-Caps!!! :yes:

Original SP2011 Crossover Schematics

Bumping an old thread here, but this might help some folks in the future who plan on recapping: KEF just sent me the original SP2011 crossover circuit diagram.
My favorite line: "For matching pairs of boards corresponding capacitors must have the same capacitor number. Find corresponding inductors the same tolerance."

By the way - I tried sending emails to Falcon Acoustics multiple times and tried calling but got no answer. Anyone knows what's up with them?

I uploaded it to my private dropbox, I'll try to keep it hosted here as long as I can:
IMG_1855.JPG

Last edited:
I just picked up my walnut 103.2's from leesonic after he did a recap and fixed some traces that were lifting/shorted by a leaking cap and sitting
here now listening to them I can tell you that they sound spectacular. I've had these for about four years now and although I have considered
having them recapped due to the many recommendations here on AK, I didn't want to risk ruining their sound with a recap. I had read that KEF
matched caps within certain tolerances and didn't want to risk not being happy with the results. Well, I don't know if it was the recap or leesonic's
work or both but I'll tell you that they sound a lot better than before the recap and, they sounded great before the recap. Although they are still
every bit as wonderful and three dimensional as before and still retain all of the magic that I fell in love with in the first place, they sound more
lively with a definite improvement in the lower frequencies. The mids and high's seem to sparkle more (haha) and oh, what a sweet mid range it is.
I am not sure which caps Lee used but they retrain all of the sonic characteristics that appealed to me in the first place but with improvements all
around. Now I know what they must have sound like when they were new and I wish that I would have had them recapped years ago.

Don't use caps from Falcon. While they might keep the sound original, Erse Audio film caps will take it to another level. Check out my thread for more info.

Lee.

Back
Top Bottom