KEF owners thread

There are discussions of which ferrofluid to use, as the original is apparently NLA. I used the Ferrotec (Kef OEM) universal fluid sold through Parts Express. The anorak set will undoubtedly shiver at the notion, but they sound good and it'd be easy to swap in future.

Having recapped 2 pairs with Falcon matched caps I don't think I'd recommend. Not hard, especially if you've already got the speakers disassembled, but I didn't notice any real difference that would justify the cost.

This is my concern too. The foam donuts would create an airtight seal, and I cant see that here. This dustcap seems to have been in place for years, its definitely not a factory job?

The foam donuts certainly do form a seal,and that was the manufacturers intention. The ''tube'' is bonded ( not just structurally,but in an air tight manner) to the pole-piece,which has a central hole to accomodate the bolt that secures the force cancelling rod. When it is all properly assembled,the driver is in a totally sealed enclosure.
Not having the proper sealing does affect the bass.Trust me on this (note the instrument I'm wearing in my avatar:))

Not to be a killjoy,but I have seen the rubber surrounds come loose from the baskets,not because of glue or rubber failure,but due to the paint delaminating from the baskets.Go figure....

Also,pay attention to the rubber grommets in the basket mounting holes. They tend to rot and fall apart.Luckily,they are readily available from any good hardware supplier.

As for the slight lack of bass,you are correct. These guys start rolling off at 55 cycles,so the absolute bottom octave may feel a little ''light''. Mind you,this can be a very good thing in most rooms. When I have eq'd my guys back up to flat (using KEF's own specs) the bloody crockery keeps falling out of the cupboards.Just for farts and giggles,set a moderately/slightly loud level,then go to another room,preferably one downstairs if possible,and listen for a few minutes.See how fast you're running back up to turn it downo_O

Having recapped 2 pairs with Falcon matched caps I don't think I'd recommend. Not hard, especially if you've already got the speakers disassembled, but I didn't notice any real difference that would justify the cost.
Brilliant, that's what I was after. Cheers for that. I will just focus on the ferrofluid and the donuts then.

......and then hours and hours of sanding and re-oiling....lols. And recovering the grilles too.

It will all be worth it in the end.....

KEF Q60 Capacitors

Attached is photo of the original crossover . Some of the capacitors are clearly marked as bipolar, the others aren't. The circuit diagram doesn't indicate polarity.

Can I assume that all the capacitors are bipolar?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• SP2189A(1L).JPG
    SP2189A(1L).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 45
Can I assume that all the capacitors are bipolar
I would have thought so - some of those are Bennic and some are Falcon caps. So the Bennics have the additional marking "Bi polar" while the Falcon ones dont, just as a manufacturer marking decision.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong, but I would always like to fall back on a good schematic (if available) but yea otherwise speaker caps are generally bipolar.

I would have thought so - some of those are Bennic and some are Falcon caps. So the Bennics have the additional marking "Bi polar" while the Falcon ones dont, just as a manufacturer marking decision.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong, but I would always like to fall back on a good schematic (if available) but yea otherwise speaker caps are generally bipolar.

Schematic I have is attached. The metallic blue cap is marked ALCAP 25 MFD 50V +/- 10% VNP. It was the KEF 1000 MFD 25V +/- 20% 1000UKADY that I wasn't sure about.
Per your kind replyI will take it as bipolar.

Attachments

• KEF Q60 Crossover Schematic.png
    KEF Q60 Crossover Schematic.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 20
Per your kind replyI will take it as bipolar.
Yup - non-polar is confirmed by the schema.

Otherwise you would have a polarity marked on the schema for the caps (with a + on one side) or one of the rectangles (there are two coloured black on the schema for each cap) would be white. These methods would both mark polarity.

Yup - non-polar is confirmed by the schema.

Otherwise you would have a polarity marked on the schema for the caps (with a + on one side) or one of the rectangles (there are two coloured black on the schema for each cap) would be white. These methods would both mark polarity.

Many thanks for your time and help.

I looked at Mundorf e-caps to replace the existing caps, but the service life is only 3,000 hours. Any downside (apart from price and size) in using Mundorf M-Cap MKP Polypropylene Capacitors for this schema, please?

Anybody driving Q700s with McIntosh gear?

I've stumbled upon a pristine MA5100 preamp/amp and have a possibility of adding a MC250 to the mix. The MA5100 will be back from the shop this week and am wondering if anyone has opinions on how they would match up with my Q700s.

Thanks...

I used to dream about a pair of 103.2 speakers back in the early 80s for classical.... Amazing! Couldnt afford them as I was a teenager and working musician. Anyone know what the 303.3 speakers are like? I've seen those going for good deals. I don't see the 103.2s very often in good condition.

The 303 series were lower end models with paper cone woofers, probably similar to what was used in the budegt Coda II, and around here were sold by chain store as opposed to audio stores. This quote from the Kef Museum probably gives you a good idea of the intended market:

"designed for use with music centres and amplifiers with as little power as 10 watts per channel and benefited from KEF’s total design concept and digital evaluation techniques."

MM..... I see. that lets me know quite a bit. Thank you. I live in a condo so a strong low frequency response isn't important as I don't need complaints from neighbors. Looking for some good candidates in the 70-20k frequencies but Dead dry with no coloration seems to tickle my fancy with a good piece of vinyl on the turntable.

Hold out for the 103.2 if you can, if you are looking for a cheaper version that would be the 203/Caprice II. Not as good but use the same drivers, are more plentiful and usually quite a bit cheaper. Worth grabbing to try.

MM..... I see. that lets me know quite a bit. Thank you. I live in a condo so a strong low frequency response isn't important as I don't need complaints from neighbors. Looking for some good candidates in the 70-20k frequencies but Dead dry with no coloration seems to tickle my fancy with a good piece of vinyl on the turntable.

I would put in a 2nd vote for the 103.2. I found a pair at a pawn shop for $150, 4 years ago! Had them re-capped recently...quite good! Overall I prefer the newer LS50's to the 103.2's (from memory) but the 103.2's are plenty good. Currently I have those and KEF 107's and they are totally satisfying. Gotta love the KEF Reference series!

I've got a pair of Kef Concertos that I've rebuilt the crossovers in. I'm currently using them with an Accuphase E-202 and am loving the combination!

IMG_0560.JPG

Another vote for the 103.2's especially if "dead dry with no coloration" is the sound you are seeking. My notes show that 203 (Caprice II),204 (Carlton II) and Carlton III have the same drivers and generally sell for less. I haven't heard any of the other models but have read numerous threads and their owners enjoy them. If you need any more incentive to hold out for 103.2's, here is a pic of one of mine in rosewood.
20171014_072424.jpg

My first post and I have screened the forum for an answer to this without any real luck so this is a general question aimed for 107 Ref owners. What are you driving your 107s with or what would be an appropriate setup?
I was lucky and found a mint one owner set of 107s with the KUBE earlier this year. However, I may not have the optimal power source for these: a Sansui 9900Z. They sound great together but as soon I want to pump up the volume a tad the Sansui objects and cuts out, and my guess is it frowns on the 4 Ohm speakers. So, since my 13 yo son is eyeballing my receiver, I might as well find something better suited for my KEFs and where I can utilize the KUBE as it is sitting unemployed at the moment since there is no real provision to hook it up.

Back
Top Bottom