KEF owners thread

Rotating the heavy Bextrene B200/300 is a good idea. It was pretty easy on the 103.2 and 105.2 I did, not sure about the 105.1 but worth looking into.

53D42A71-9566-4874-91FD-72803C45E2B4.jpeg I don’t hear any voice coil rub, I’ll deal with it later... I can’t take the smile off my face hearing these kef 105.1!!

Here’s a picture

Edit: I rotated the woofers as prescribed..

Last edited:
View attachment 1111138 I don’t hear any voice coil rub, I’ll deal with it later... I can’t take the smile off my face hearing these kef 105.1!!

Famous last words,because we all know what ''I'll deal with it later means'' ;) And believe me, when the rubbing starts,the smile will come off your face really quick.

Everybody goes by the old ''meh,they're just fine,no rubbing now''. The problem is that when the rubbing starts,you're done;it's too late! If you consider how many years it takes for them to sag enough to start rubbing,how many years will it take for them to sag back into position?

Contact the seller and ask how long he owned them,and if he had ever rotated them. This response will determine whether to rotate 120 degrees or to go a full 180,and how long to leave them before the next rotation.

So yes,definitely rotate those woofers,but get as much information as possible beforehand.

And I still miss the pair (exact same model as yours) that I sold years ago:(

I can just open them up from the front, right? Will the cables have enough slack for the rotation?

Never been done means 180 degrees. They've probably sagged considerably by now,so after rotation I would then leave them for at least a couple of years before starting the 120 degree ''maintenance program''.

This model is a real pain in the a** to work on,as you have to remove the entire front baffle (by removing all of the screws around the periphery) to access the woofer.I don't recall if the leads will be long enough; too many years have passed. When you have removed the hardware,you can tilt the baffle towards you from the top to get a peek at the wiring.

[QUOTE="

This model is a real pain in the a** to work on,as you have to remove the entire front baffle (by removing all of the screws around the periphery) to access the woofer.I don't recall if the leads will be long enough; too many years have passed. When you have removed the hardware,you can tilt the baffle towards you from the top to get a peek at the wiring.[/QUOTE]

Probably why it was never done! The 105.2 is very easy to do.

79807C49-9472-4AAE-804C-1B38AA683AB5.jpeg Actually it’s not too hard to remove the front baffle on the 105.1, but only loosen the OUTER screws, leave the inner ones alone until you pull it open from the top. The nuts on the inside that hold the driver on can be easily loosened from the inside.

The wires from the driver to the crossover need to be lengthened however, as they don’t reach once rotated. I guess I’ll upgrade them now that it’s open.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

This model is a real pain in the a** to work on,as you have to remove the entire front baffle (by removing all of the screws around the periphery) to access the woofer.I don't recall if the leads will be long enough; too many years have passed. When you have removed the hardware,you can tilt the baffle towards you from the top to get a peek at the wiring.

Probably why it was never done! The 105.2 is very easy to do.[/QUOTE]

Something that I have never understood is that mine were the exact same type as what Gridslayer has,ie 105.1,but were labelled everywhere as 105.2.
Maybe a transition-era issue?

In any event,probably one of the finest sounding KEF's ever made:)

Got it all done. Just added some length to the cables and marked the driver with the date rotated for the next guy. Loving these things!

Enjoy the 105's. I've had mine for 5 months or so. I absolutely love them but have been waffling about moving them along only because I have a small place and they are so HUGE. My 103.2's come close with a sub but it's just not the same. Mine were serviced and the crossovers redone prior to me getting them so I haven't rotated yet.

One question on the 105.1, do the midrange/tweeter modules have some way of attaching to the bases or do they just slide in the hole and sit there?

Recently picked up some Reference 102/2's to go with my Ref 102's. Plan to use the 102/2's in an office system driven by a Marantz 2245 or maybe a Nakamichi TA-3A.

Back
Top Bottom