1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

KEF owners thread

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by matteos, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bobk4k

bobk4k New Member

Srinath,

It was back in the 80's but I've heard the 105 Mk.2's with two large amps: the first time was at the store I purchased my 105's at and it was an Audio Research D350B monster amp. The second time was with a VSP Labs TransMOS 150 amp - my amp at the time. The owner of the Mk.2's couldn't find an amp that would handle the anvil and thunderclap of a Telarc recording of the time (Wagner) without tripping the protection circuit in the KEFs or the amp running out of power. The VSP Labs amp while only 150 W/c had a lot of headroom and could deliver a lot of current which the KEFs love. Suffice to say the amp reproduced the passage and the guy was impressed.

My suggestion is look for an amp that has a good amount of power, but also check to see that it can deliver a lot of current as well. My Class D Audio amp is rated for 220 W/c into 8 ohms, but 440 W/c into 4 ohms so it has reserves to handle the peaks. (If I remember my ohms/power laws from electronics classes.)

Bob

TomBig58 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

My living room....I'm a KEF fiend. The 103.4's I had to compeltely replace all 4 (blown) woofers with new non-KEF ones - I was really lucky this worked out.

The far left 104.2 is a clients - I've just totally overhauled it and am re-breaking her in!

34984192_2078844309052487_2809978367678349312_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    guiller, TomBig58 and montrecott like this.
  3. gorazd

gorazd New Member

Hi.
    I bought the 104/2 that i mentioned previously. Very satisfied! Used them first with a Technics SU-7300 (2x40W@4Ohm)... but they really came to life with an Onkyo M-5060R (2x210W@4Ohm).

slimecity likes this.
  4. JPJ

JPJ AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. arts

arts Super Member

6. JPJ

:rflmao:

7. JPJ

you're probably right

8. stelya

stelya New Member

EVIL LAUGH ::)
    Kef 2.jpg

guiller likes this.
  9. JPJ

saw those in your last post, curious to hear them. congrats on the speakers.

10. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I decided to gather together all my Kef speakers for a family photo. I figured I better get it done because it's time to move some of them along. 20180720_221631.jpg 20180720_220640.jpg

105 series II (SP1118) S/N 2123 A&B. Excellent condition with Falcon recap
    103.2 (SP1121) S/N 15971 A&B. These amaze me how close they sound to the 105's
    103.2 S/N 11715 A&B. Beat up pair with no grilles loved the other one's so much I had to buy them
    Two pair Coda III (SP3016) S/N 008519, 008520, 019440, 008625. Very nice but no 103.2
    Q10 (SP3228) S/N 19683, 19684. With their awesome efficiency finally a pair of Kef's I can crank with a low power amp
    T101 Wall mount rear surrounds (SP3744) I rarely use these but some guy was selling them for $20 so what the heck?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    btomjvc, guiller and freQ(*)Oddio like this.
  11. TomBig58

Some more pics from the previous post

Attached Files:

guiller likes this.

12. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

Every time I see a picture of a pair of Coda III's, I regret not picking up the pair I saw near me on gumtree, for £25...

TomBig58 and Lou G like this.
  13. TomBig58

I can understand your regret. They are nice speakers that don't seem to command much on the market. I got a good deal on four because one has a tweeter that is not working. Since both pairs of my 103.2's work well I haven't opened up any of the Coda's to check it out. There are subtle differences between tweeter outputs from the other three. After reading up on them I plan to get some ferro fluid and tackle the job of replacing the fluid in all four tweeters. I'm convinced it will make quite a difference. The tweeters in the other model speakers do not use ferro fluid.

14. dgunnr

dgunnr Marantz Owner

Bought a pair 2 weeks ago and sent to my buddy who is upgrading with new (exact spec) audio grade capacitors. The surrounds are fine and where checked out. Should have them next week hopefully. My buddy owns a set and they sound wonderful and do not take up much space.

Putting them in my office. Running with a fully restored Marantz 2285B with European black face plate. This is the first set of speakers i have bought in years since i acquired 3 pairs of different Marantz speakers. The KEF's are amazing and I probably won't get any work done the first week i have them in the office!

15. leray1

leray1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

A pair of what?

16. dgunnr

dgunnr Marantz Owner

Sorry KEF's 103.2

17. TomBig58

Nice! Love me some 103.2 action. I know what you mean about having them in an office. I'm an FM guy and when a good song comes on I can't help but reach over, turn up the volume a bit, and just ENJOY! Counterproductive to say the least.

Hawkeye83 likes this.
  18. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Im really loving my KEF 103.4's. You dont seem to see much about them out there but I love the fact they are biwirable compared to my 104.2's.

This means that I can drive the top end with some sweet low power tube or VFET amps. In some ways I love the upper-mid voicing and the bass response of these smaller speakers over my 104.2's.

I wish I could experiment with my 104.2's more - curse KEF for not making these biwirable until later!

19. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 Super Member

Just another guy here running 103.2's in his office (and 107's in my mine system)! Nice to be able to listen both nearfield and farfield.

20. Ken Mitchell

Ken Mitchell Member

Is this thread only for pre-2000 era KEF speakers? If so, too bad because all but one of my 13 KEF speakers are all post 2006 era.

R500 pair, R200c center, R100 pair, R50 pair, iQ10 pair, LS50 pair, Kube 10b sub, Reference Model 100 center. Pics can be posted if any interest.