KEF owners thread

Is this thread only for pre-2000 era KEF speakers? If so, too bad because all but one of my 13 KEF speakers are all post 2006 era.

R500 pair, R200c center, R100 pair, R50 pair, iQ10 pair, LS50 pair, Kube 10b sub, Reference Model 100 center. Pics can be posted if any interest.

I figure it's ALL KEF's. We love pictures!!

Im really loving my KEF 103.4's. You dont seem to see much about them out there but I love the fact they are biwirable compared to my 104.2's.

This means that I can drive the top end with some sweet low power tube or VFET amps. In some ways I love the upper-mid voicing and the bass response of these smaller speakers over my 104.2's.

I wish I could experiment with my 104.2's more - curse KEF for not making these biwirable until later!

I've always wished my 105.2's were bi-ampable.

Bi-wiring ought to be a relatively straightforward mod, surely?

Isolate the relevant sections of the crossover, and connect to another pair of terminals.

Bi-wiring ought to be a relatively straightforward mod, surely?

Isolate the relevant sections of the crossover, and connect to another pair of terminals.
There is a post on AK or diyaudio that went into this - I started thinking about it then other jobs took over. Not sure about the magnitude of whats involved.....the biwirable 104/2's have 2 fairly sizable xovers so I bet it isnt as simple as it sounds to do this......If it is, then thats a bonus.

They are in real nice condition with Falcon upgraded crossovers (post #330) so I really don't think I would like to modify or experiment. I might attempt if they were in rough shape even though I'm not super tech-savvy. The crossover is fairly complicated.
.upload_2018-9-30_21-17-14.png

I had the 105's for sale in Barter Town with no real action so I'm keeping them. The only KEF's I've parted with are the good pair of Coda's. I just have so many speakers I like and not enough room. Recent additions are AR 58s and Theil CS 1.2 both of which do a lot of things real nice. They are A/B in my main setup right now.

I know it's overkill/almost blasphemy but the 105's and 103.2's are doing 5.1 home theater duty right now with a Polk center speaker. I'm using a very respectable Yamaha RX-V765 HT receiver. With the 105's I don't even really need the sub TBH. I do listen to a bit of two channel direct with that system, it's my only streaming able setup with chromecast, and the TV couch is my only real sweet spot listening chair so it makes it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Mine are 103/2. They are connected to my computer system, powered by a Kenwood KR6400. Several people that have heard them are amazed a small speaker can have such a full sound. I'll be keeping these around for a while. KEF is a fine brand and have been a worthwhile addition to my speaker collection.

Anyone here heard the newest KEF Reference series, by chance? Too rich for my blood but I'd love to hear them. I really only have experience with 3 KEF models, but I've loved them all...

LS50 (owned them twice)

Interested in trying out 207's or Blade 2's someday, or the newer Reference series...quite a jump in price though for any of those!

I've auditioned the Reference 1 and Reference 3, current generation. Compared to my LS50's and R500's, they are indeed more detailed, less "peaky" than the LS50's can be with certain material. Bass is tight, but so accurate and never boomy or muddled. Just incredible.

I recently (finally) auditioned the LS50's at a hi-fi store and was pretty impressed. I correctly queried the salesman if the subwoofer was still connected at first listen...I couldn't believe they had THAT much bass extension. I could blissfully enjoy them the rest of my life for sure. Not being a high dollar equipment guy I settle for classics of the pre-owned variety.

Now you know why I scraped up the $900 to buy mine (used, limited edition color, original boxes & everything.)

Yes, I told the guy straight out I'm not in the market but want to hear what the fuss is about so he obliged. I earned a little credibility when I told him of all the vintage KEFs I own. I'm more of an acoustic suspension fan but engineers these days are doing so much with stand mount ported speakers they are amazing. I see the Ref1's have interchangeable ports. Very interesting. I could see myself changing the ports depending if I was listening to The Who or Nora Jones lol.

I don't know of any owners of the current Reference series who change the short or long port tube once it's set, but it's an interesting thought. Generally it's set based upon the speaker's in-room response, not the music playing.

My Reference 4.2’s which I love. You can also see my 200C and I run Reference 3.2’s as surrounds.

Really nice speakers! I have a Reference Model 100 center speaker and am keeping my eyes open for a pair of Reference Model 2-2 (or even the original Model 2) speakers to pair with it. My room wouldn't be right for larger ones like those.

Really nice speakers! I have a Reference Model 100 center speaker and am keeping my eyes open for a pair of Reference Model 2-2 (or even the original Model 2) speakers to pair with it. My room wouldn't be right for larger ones like those.

It took me 6 years to find the 4.2’s at the right price/condition. I don’t think I would ever sell them tbh. I had the Reference 1’s when they came out and remember listening to the 4’s when I visited the shop I bought the 1’s from. I was blown away by the look and sound but couldn’t afford them back then so settled for the 1’s. I have never listened to the 2’s but imagine that they are awesome in the right room. I just think Kef got it right with this era. Good luck in getting yours.
:beerchug:

The room I want the Reference 2 or 2-2 is our guest room. It's a square-ish room of about 14 feet in each dimension. Right now the 5.1 surround system is made up of that center speaker, a pair of 1988-1991 era Hafler 300's, a pair of iQ10's for surrounds, and a re-engineered Miller & Kreisel V-90 sub that has a new SB Acoustics SB34SWPL-76-4 driver and Dayton SPA250DSP plate amp. I like to use it when my wife is home and doesn't want to hear the loud music. It's just a little "thump-thump" heard downstairs.

If I can find the Reference 2's, it'll be heaven just one-story up! :)

Last edited:
I went to an event at my dealer's store last evening. It was co-sponsored by KEF America, to introduce the new R series. They had received the new R11 just that day so there was virtually no break-in. Now I'd heard the new R7 two or three weeks back and those were well broken-in. In a smaller room (about 18' x 20') the R7 were simply glorious. The R11, honestly seemed about the same but I attribute that to being brandy new and in a crowded room.

The new R series sounds really far closer to the current Reference series than it has any right to at the price level they sell for. No, the fit & finish isn't Reference level, but I would venture to say these would shock an owner of older Reference series in most ways. It would be impossible for me to get an A-B comparison of the R11 (list $5k/pr) against any of the older Reference there, as they don't have any. These new speakers are incredible.

I've had the R-900's in my main system for several years now & decided to pull the trigger & ordered a pair of the R11's today! I plan on pairing my old R-900's with another system I have and the R11's will take their place in the main system. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom