KEF Q300 Crossover Modification

jagermonsta

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently found a pic of the stock crossover and was a little disappointed to find some pretty standard/cheap components in there (pic attached).

On the plus side, there's only one inductor, a 4.3uf cap, and a 0R68 resistor. Very simple.

Any consensus as to whether it'd be worth my time/money to invest in some fancy pants caps and resistors? I found a thread on DIY Audio claiming big improvements with expensive replacement parts, but I always take that with a grain of salt...

Attachments

• kefq300_weiche.jpg
    kefq300_weiche.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Looks fine. I wouldn't mess with it. Changing the cap and resistor will likely net no audible improvement. Coil looks solid.

Yeah, the inductor struck me as pretty high quality but the generic looks of the other passives prompted me to wonder.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been considering these very speakers as a possible upgrade.

Any idea how these would stack up against Polk TSi200s or Monitor 40s? Thanks....

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been considering these very speakers as a possible upgrade.

Any idea how these would stack up against Polk TSi200s or Monitor 40s? Thanks....

For me is a good upgrade, kef sounds more neutral or natural, and the concentric driver is a beast, and with the mods the sound improve a lot

Hi lukslp22, may I ask what cables you put in the speakers?

Yes, for the tweeter I use Norstone Silver plated cooper sv150 and the LF Monster cooper cable, (nothing expensive) the stock cables are veeery low cost

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 50
Thank you lukslp22 . Was wondering what you used. Just recapped my Mission 737R's. The Mission wires are super short in the speakers.

I have a Q300 and I changed the caps and resistor, my next step is change the wire for a silver plated cooper

Wow didnt really expect to ever see a reply to this thread two years later haha

What value did you go with for the bypass cap? 0.01uf?

Standard value for the resistor? 0.68 ohm?

One point to bear in mind with the inductor upgrade is that the DCR of the new inductor matches the original one.

If you install a new larger-gauge inductor which has lower DCR than the original (but exactly the same inductance), you will alter the crossover response, thus hearing a difference. Whether or not it is an actual improvement can only be gauged by measuring the speakers.

You could upgrade the 5W resistor to lets say a 20W but the biggest Upgrade you can do is to upgrade your speakercables. Did I hear anyone say 9awg solid?
(do I know what I`m talkin about) Enjoy the Music!

You could upgrade the 5W resistor to lets say a 20W but the biggest Upgrade you can do is to upgrade your speakercables. Did I hear anyone say 9awg solid?
(do I know what I`m talkin about) Enjoy the Music!

Hi! no the stock resistor is a normal bennic 5w and this is a Mundorf MOX 5w, the speaker cable is a norstone silver plate cooper... nothing fancy, now I have a LS50 with mundorf Supreme oil and Aluminium EVO Gold oil, with MOX resistors and the internal wiring is Discovery brand :D

Back
Top Bottom