KEF T27

Sansui77

Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson
Hi all,

I need some advise on a Kef T27. On the rear they have a Philips screw in the centre on the magnet. What does this hold? What is the best way to remove the plate to get to the voice coil?

Don't touch the screw.

The diaphragm and voice coil are just stuck on. Use a guitar pick to slide under the edges. Two locating pins under the black plastic to align the new one and the wires are pushed through the white plastic sleeve.

If I am correct the screw holds the tweeter in place and keeps it tight in the poorly design cavity that the tweeter sits in . A sliding piece of wood holds it down with the screw as the anchor . What type of speaker ? Guessing a Kef 104 b

It is the SP1032 version of the KEF T27 tweeter and the screw retains the centre pole of the magnet assembly. As restorer-john advises, don't release the screw.

Thanks guys. The guitar pick sounds like a good idea since it thin and made of plastic so it won't scratch the round plate when trying to remove the 40 year old glue. All my T27's work great it's just in the past someone has pushed the domes in which I have popped out but they still have little indents round the outer side. What glue is best to reseat them back onto the plate?

The T27 are from 104ab's & IMF compact II's

KEF...... What happened to just screwing the main metal plate from the front directly to the magnet like in the photo's below???

file_3_7_4.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

T27 disassembly
Resize%20of%20kef-005.jpg

Last edited:
Manufacturers attempt to keep costs down and construction methods that reduce assembly time and component parts are a part of this approach. An adhesive that would suit the refitting of the diaphragm would be a flexible water based type such as Helmars' Tacky Craft Glue.

Whatever the eccentricities of the T27's construction, they sure work for me. My current speakers are KEF Reference 101, with the T27. I'm constantly struck by their lack of "edginess" which is often called "accuracy". I can easily hear the sweetness of David Oistrakh's high notes contrasted to the steeliness of Heifetz, so the accuracy is there, but never sacrifices the music's beauty. And they're 35 years old! Which also means, sadly, I should start thinking about the xover caps... dammit.

All done. WOW, that was a very delicate. Ran them through a HP 3325B function generator 3 - 16KHz.

IMAG0324.jpg IMAG0325.jpg IMAG0326.jpg IMAG0327.jpg

Last edited:
congrats! now you can start your business. find broken T27s and fix them. only problem
is that they're mostly inside BIG speakers.

Back
Top Bottom