Kenwood 9600 repair

raffman

Gents, trying to repair my 9600. No stereo only mono. Was shutting off/back on repeatedly till I took loose the board with R1, R2 to let it cool. Read the thread on board restoration but could not find the recommended replacement transistors. Mouser expecting delivery in June and I can't go that long without spinning LP's. Any suggestions for equivalent Q1 and Q2?

Not sure I replied in the correct box. If not, just wanted to say thanks and ask for recommendation (spec) for wire and solder. So many kinds I can't make sense of them.

They'll be differing opinions on solder. I typically use the old classic Kester "44" which is 60/40 .031"

Where will you be using the wire? Resistor mod? Maybe 20 gauge wire. Stranded will be more flexible than solid core but you'll have to watch for loose ends.

Yeah, I think the solid might make a neater job. I've got some automotive stuff laying around that I may use if I get impatient tho. I get the feeling I'll need to do more than this just this board to get this set cranking again. You have recommendation for minimal "must do" stuff to this. I have yet to check the bottom of the big filter caps for leaks and will replace as necessary.

I looked at the replacement indicator lamps available from WJOE and it is just a lamp with two long leads. The lamps in 9600 seem encased in a rubber mold. Can the be removed and replaced from the rubber?
They'll be differing opinions on solder. I typically use the old classic Kester "44" which is 60/40 .031"

Where will you be using the wire? Resistor mod? Maybe 20 gauge wire. Stranded will be more flexible than solid core but you'll have to watch for loose ends.
Well I just got my parts today and installed them. The operation was a success but apparently there was more than one thing wrong. Works on mono setting but nothing comes out of right speaker when set on "stereo". Any idea where to start? Also need a spec for signal strength indicator light.

Yes- the rubber deal is a boot or socket of sorts. It slips over two pins on the lamp board. Remove the old lamp & boot from the board, then remove the lamp from the boot. - I just usually pull on the bulb and the wires follow. You'll figure it out. The wires for the new bulb go through the holes down the middle of the boot, then back up through the outer holes, which slide over the pins. Small needlenose are helpful. Kinda like threading a needle.

On your missing channel in stereo - good chance dirty switches or pots are the cause. Cleaning is where I'd start. I use Deoxit D5 for the switches and Deoxit D100 for the pots.

The meter lamps are supposed to be 8v 300ma, I don't think you'll find the original style.- I use 8v 250ma wedge lamps, they are about perfect. - WJOE sells those also.

Yes- the rubber deal is a boot or socket of sorts. It slips over two pins on the lamp board. Remove the old lamp & boot from the board, then remove the lamp from the boot. - I just usually pull on the bulb and the wires follow. You'll figure it out. The wires for the new bulb go through the holes down the middle of the boot, then back up through the outer holes, which slide over the pins. Small needlenose are helpful. Kinda like threading a needle.

On your missing channel in stereo - good chance dirty switches or pots are the cause. Cleaning is where I'd start. I use Deoxit D5 for the switches and Deoxit D100 for the pots.

The meter lamps are supposed to be 8v 300ma, I don't think you'll find the original style.- I use 8v 250ma wedge lamps, they are about perfect. - WJOE sells those also.
Thanks again. I'm still hunting for that deficit stuff...

I should've ordered it online but I'd much rather find it at local retailer. The Caig site wanted me to register for an account. Screw that hoooey. Well, tonight I'll toss a few back and crank up the Kenwood on mono and see how it sounds...thanks for links.

Still having problems. Qr2 much hotter than Qr1 and intermittently shutting of and coming back on. Ideas?

Everything on that board gets hot, which is why most guys replace replace Qr1 and Qr2 with MJE15032G and MJE15033G, and get a 75 ohm 15 to 25W aluminum resistor for the Rr1 and Rr2 combination and mount it on the metal divider right to the rear of that board.

UNfyzUiCovAp686bt6IZedRA1GSGHAx9NForCcDI73BgA8Rq9TMv1flJGjBDYhlp53MDAsmN-FLZ8M-D5ReqbP5YQhTuHULf0qPJqcCIQ5vQEFSne5vwZg8QLMY2Bx-SC9k-UZJVzYA1salG4bOML2Sd-Z4lH5MHGj5SMEM3JnfO23h_MsHzD9DHZHUXfG51KIMPvs-J87pkXBZN-oLGzgKGyOPxKhpHZ7phL2gkwEfai962AVcrkWmachPYNby6VfYGOdW1IRqCTCC73T57wyUBSCgMoL5Fm_9FvPCuoUm7aDeYR6wBuP0y-Tlanlnjl3_NGUk9-tvnzcMRTxDwvH1PZENlzS-D9mc3TGzTyz-AUo8IB9fV78dz_3fC3uFKL_ACk-amg7nSiUrZ3sPOV5R-6AjgF68GdgOSBquhNBsUKgvfHrjV8JPCSCWTVu7td5508yBJLkh7Wjo0imQVdATQzDkmNBVJtFmtK4NhKWpw9Z2vOajG2XQsoLBQUvNA5nZj45vpRSb4UrhwLWIErM0SNkJdJ3gW4_6B29h-fIewsrGeY21Rs8h3lAWPaaf7iUG9C6HdtxEPXeY3B1FeVLMeGwi05IYp6QMDBSXDHxudei_G2OKY=w1447-h988-no

OK, I deoxited all switches and everything else. No change. I loosened both power amps to get a better look. On the right, R16 sheath is browning from heat. Not so on the left. Also much dust in between pins. On the left, pin 8 looks like it got hot and perhaps desoldered. Plan of action, please?

Re16 is part of the Boucherot cell, designed to provide a load at high frequencies. In normal operation it should be ice cold unless that amp channel is oscillating.
Well I just got my parts today and installed them. The operation was a success but apparently there was more than one thing wrong. Works on mono setting but nothing comes out of right speaker when set on "stereo".
Here you suggest that you get sound out of both channels when in mono, but only one when in stereo. If that's accurate, then the cause of the missing channel is NOT due to a power amp issue. But if you think Re16 is getting hot, stick your finger on that sucker when the amp is powered up and see for yourself.

So...if we have a preamp issue and not a power amp issue, then things get hairy. First things first...check all the voltages coming out of the regulated supply (+34V, -33V, and all the 13V variations):

9600_PS_A_zps6259b716.jpg~original

I appreciate all the assistance here and should have provided feedback sooner. I discovered that the stereo switch is not working properly. If I set it halfway I get stereo from both channels. Sounds much better that before but not quite right yet I think. R3 and R4 still getting very hot.

Back
Top Bottom