Kenwood Ka-7300 Schematic Error?

garage inc.

The pre-amp section of the kenwood ka 7300 service manual schematic lists electrolytic capacitors CD-1 through CD-22 and CD-18 is missing from the schematic & list. Does anybody know what the missing CD-18 capacitor on the schematic is as I am getting the capacitor list ready to order for a recap, I have found 62 electrolytic capacitors on the schematic and the only capacitor kit online from high end audio from Bulgaria for the ka 7300 contains 63 capacitors so the missing CD-18 capacitor on the schematic is holding me up, thanks for any input.

Good point I will have to eye every capacitor on the boards to know for sure since the schematic & service manual is probably loaded with errors, thanks for waking me up. Time to do open heart surgery. What a job this amp recap will be, lol, thanks again.

Beware the power supply - some parts on that board produced a lot of heat. So much so that in the case of the KA-7300 I attempted to refurbish, there were areas of that board that literally crumbled from handling while working on it.

In my case, the amp was functional but had what I felt was high DC offset - 95mV (give or take) on one channel and I figured replacing a goodly number of parts should do the trick. Even though the chance of capacitors causing DC offset was small. I decided replacing all of them was a good place to start and get that work out of the way before moving on to the transistors on the amplifier board.

I've re-capped pre-amps, power amps and a couple of integrated's before but those were all a lot simpler than a KA-7300. At the time, I was under the impression that arbitrary replacement of electrolytic capacitors was a routine thing to do in restoring an amplifier. But in hindsight, I wish I never embarked on that project as more problems were created along the way. I shall not make that mistake again

Despite help from members here, I was unable to get the amp back to operational condition. I was, by my own hand, over my head with that one. The amp was free but I spent a lot of time and money locating, gathering various circuit board components. I can't get the time back but I sold some of the amplifier's parts which covered the cash outlay.

Being one, I would not recommend delving into such an amplifier to an amateur. It is a big, complicated job and things are not easy to get at. There are a lot of embedded resistors in the boards which I've never encountered before and for me, they made checking for voltages a lot less straight forward.

But if you are an experienced tech with test equipment, disregard the above.

Back
Top Bottom