Kenwood KA-9100 Wood Case

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by punprankster, Dec 3, 2017.

1. punprankster

punprankster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a wood case from a KA-7100 that I want to use on my KA-9100. My only concern is that it doesn't have the side vents that the stock wood case of the Kenwood KA-9100 has and that it might cause the 9100 to overheat. Has anyone tried using something similar or does anyone have any advice if this is feasible?
    Thanks!

2. oldboats

oldboats AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just ship me the case and you will no longer have this concern.
    Sorry, I do not have any real help.
    Bump for someone who might know.

punprankster likes this.
  3. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

The power amps on the 9100 are on the sides. The 7100 has a u-channel of heat sink through the middle of the amp. Air enters from below the 7100 and exits the top of the unit. I would think the cabinet is setup to allow this with an open bottom.

If you use this cabinet on the 9100 it will run hotter than it should to the point of being unhappy if you crank it. You should have some side vents installed in the cabinet to use it with this amp. Not hard cut some holes and install a chunk of metal screen of choice.

punprankster likes this.
  4. punprankster

Thanks Blue Shadow. I'd hate to mess up the 9100. I'd really want to house it in a wood case in the one I have now as buying a separate wood case is too costly.

5. JG777

JG777 New Member

Sure u could buy the one I have coming, don't want or need the wood box, to me it just holds in heat. It will need restored.

6. punprankster

How bad is it that it needs to be restored? And how much would you be willing to part with it?
    Thanks!

7. JG777

JG777 New Member

Its got a lot of heavy scratches, its all intact, a couple of chips on the corners. I am going to sand it down & see how it looks, its ugly as it is now, the kid or guy I bought this amp from on ebay ripped me off, said it was "from a working environment" all he knew was that the "lights came on" when he flipped the power switch, its got a fried left channel & probably other issues, not happy. I dont know how much it is worth but as is its just ugly, I'll let u know.