Kenwood KA-9150

bolly

Lunatic Member
First I was having some minor difficulties with the Left channel, Jiggling the Filter switches always took care of it. Now, it's the Right. Dropped out, damn it! It plays very low and somewhat distorted. Seems to me like it's time for some overdue maintenance. That's OK, I have a schematic. Other than general cleaning of switches and pots, and I can't purchase Deoxit locally, where should I start? BTW, I replaced the 7550/9150 with a Marantz 2100 and a Kenwood KA-3500.

Greg

Of course...

As far as the channel dropping out..again, probably a dirt issue. Still, the 9100/9150 et al have problems with the driver transistors being undersized for the job at hand and it causes dry solder joints. I always replace the oversized TO-92 devices with a decent TO-126 package deesigned to handle a watt or two.

Test the output at the preamp jacks though...if the channel is missing at that point, then the 'separate/normal' switch may be the problem. If you have a piece of gear with a volume control, plug it into the 'main-in' jacks and see what happens with the channel.

As far as I know, Parts Express will ship to Canada. Order the DeOxit from them.

Last edited:
Thanks E/W, I just recently operated that normal/seperate switch to "Y" in my new G-5700. Never occurred to me to cycle that one! BTW, I'm positive the Pre Out to the G-5700 was operating and amplifying both channels. Both LED banks were functioning. I'll have to aquire some Deoxit5 first, and then figure out that light problem. She deserves a fine interior detailing/cleaning before being put back into active duty!

Greg

That's actually good news...the amp section on the 9100's are pretty easy to work on...the preamp is a nightmare.

Check the switch and clean it well. If the problem does not go away, then the amp section needs surgery.

You're the bearer of good news. (I hope) BTW, I just checked the schematic and noticed 2 1A fuses controlling the dial bulbs. You wouldn't happen to know exactly where they're located physically?

Yee Ha!

Seems like a couple a dirty switch contacts required a bit o' cleaning. All I have is an electro contact cleaner by LPS. Works... for now!

Greg

Lamps out? They are wired in series, so if one goes, neither will light up.

They are 8V 150mA. I've got a pile of 'em...

Looks like them lamps are glued into the holder. I never unsoldered the other ends and checked for continuity though...

You'll never get to the other end to unsolder...the board is the same one that the capacitors are soldered to. Forget about unsoldering (nightmare...trust me). You need to cut the wires, and splice in the replacements.

If you cut, you must make sure that you do not get the wires mixed up from one lamp to the other...tape the pair together or otherwise mark them somehow.

Edit: I may be wrong about that...I was thinking that..on mine..the current limiting resistors were burnt, so I had to remove the board, which meant unsoldering the caps. Still, it's probably easier to splice them than to hassle with unsoldering.

Last edited:
I was looking at those small black wires and was thinking the exact same thing. Cut and splice, Still seems the bulbs are glued in though. I've the same problem with my 7550, no lights...

Meter set to read DC? It's usually an unrectified AC voltage going to the bulbs....check to see you are set to read AC...

Back
Top Bottom