Kenwood KD 550 Tonearm Lift Redamping Problem

ClearChannel

I have a KD 550 turntable in which the tonearm cue was dropping too quickly. I obtained 100,000 oil & disassembled tonearm & separated the cue lift lever part (see photo). Cue lift parts looks good with no damage, and I did not make any adjustments to it. I cleaned inside with isopropyl alcohol, dried it, and put coated cylinder & bottom with fluid.

I believe this is the same lift that is used on the Grace 707 tonearm.

For some reason, I cannot get the cylinder to "rise" when I put the cue level to the "Up" position. I tried putting more fluid & less fluid but no luck.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I AM DOING WRONG. THE LIFT WORKED FINE (dropping too quickly)WP_20180216_18_16_30_Pro.jpg
BEFORE I TOOK IT APART & THE LIFT IS NO DAMAGED.

I believe this is the same lift that is used on the Grace 707 tonearm, which I also have and will eventually need to be re-damped.

Not sure why this is happening. I just finished doing a AR XB tonearm lift & had no problem re-damping that lift.

100k is more a heavy damping trough fluid. The 300k or 500k might do the trick. If you get 500 and it is too slow, you can cut it with the 100.

Working & going down ok now. Had to let it sit for a day and run the "air" out of it . It goes down ok, not super slow or too fast.

So 100k is a decent choice for a cuing rebuild on the KD-550 but you might prefer 200k with anything thicker being too slow?

So 100k is a decent choice for a cuing rebuild on the KD-550 but you might prefer 200k with anything thicker being too slow?
Yes, although 100,000 works great & does not drop the arm too fast or cause any thump (compared to many other TT's I have seen arm drops), I feel 200,000 might be slightly better choice to make the decent even slower. I used the 100,000 on an AR XB TT with great results and a very good slower drop.

The choice of what to use probably changed based on what is getting the fluid. I have an arm here that is too slow and it is like new. I've tried 300k in stuff and it didn't seem to be right but maybe the fluid wasn't as much a contributing factor. That arm dropped quick. Kenwood KD-650.

Glad we know which one to use on the KD-550

Back
Top Bottom