Kenwood KR-6600 versus a Realistic SPA-90?

Wrongdog

I know the SPA-90 is only 45 WPC versus KR's 56WPC but I like the lowly Rat Shack better. I run a quad of Dynaco A-25's and it seems to be the best match for them since I lost my Sansui 7070. I do not use the QVox mode but run all four speakers. THE SPA-90 seems to have as much power and dynamics but warmer sounding.

Am nuts, deaf or both?

The STA-90 is very well liked by many.
I have one, and I consider it a keeper.

I like to compare mine to my Sansui 771 because it is from a similar time, in a similar segment of the market, and it is also styled quite similarly.
It compares very favorably.
However, I don't know if it is the way the volume control scales or what, but the STA-90 feels significantly more powerful than the 771.
It's not the Shack's flashiest receiver by any means; I think that the 771 is prettier, but it has a great sound and feel to it.

I like them both, but the market likes the Sansui more.
I have seen a couple go locally here on Craiglist for about half what the 771 goes for.
That's not a complaint.
They are simply a bargain if you can find a good one.

I used it in my living room system for about a year, and I was quite content with it until the tuner went wonky.
It awaits tuner maintenance presently.

sta-90-and-771-adjusted.jpg

I like the look of both since my nostalgia is from that era. Graduated HS in '74 - sex, drugs and rock 'n roll baby!!

Yes - the volume taper is unique in a good way on the SPA-90.

Wood is good. My SPA-90 cabinet was thrashed so I relaminated it with paper backed, very high quality, real walnut wood veneer. One reason my Kenwood KR-6600 is not as great looking to me is it's weird plastic cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom