1. Welcome to the new server. If you would like to help out with the cost of the new server, check out the thread "Audiokarma's server needs your help" in AK NEWS.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenwood KR-7400.

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by spaceman, Dec 9, 2007.

1. spaceman

spaceman Registered Lunatic

I picked one up today for $20, without being able to test it, thinking it was a reasonably priced gamble, & it worked out very well. The vinyl's peeling off one of the wooden endcaps, & it was pretty dirty outside, pretty dusty inside, but after a good dusting inside, I fired her up, & she plays great. :D The faceplate & knobs look pretty darn good, no scratches or dings that I can notice yet, & all the lights still work. And this one has a nice tuner, as most Kennies do, I was getting almost a full 5 on the signal strength meter, when I realized I forgot to hook up an antenna. :D No complaints at all on this one, another keeper. :yes:

2. bully

bully member

Nice model, great sound. I had the TOTL KR-9400 and is was a lovely receiver.
    The KR-7400 is 63 wpc & msrp $540 in 1973-74.

3. ybaolywa

ybaolywa Super Member

spaceman, nice addition you got there. Congrats! A few of these were showing up on CL for a time. I recently got one too and it's runs the main vintage system in the LR. I've run it with some KEFs, Advents, Klipschs and some JBLs. Never a complaint to be heard.
    Enjoy it:thmbsp:

4. SpeakerLabFan

SpeakerLabFan < speakerlab 7's Subscriber

Wow, Nice score Spaceman. $20? Yeah the Kenwood receivers I've seen all have really great FM tuners.

5. kcollins4

kcollins4 Rocking somewhere

Yet another under appreciated Kenny. I liked my 9400 so much that I bought a second one, and...um...a third one.:D

6. spaceman

Whoa, $540? :eek: That's still a chunk of change today, & would have been a small fortune in the early-mid 70s. I can understand it though, the build quality is pretty darn good, & these have a very nice sound, that didn't happen by accident, I'm sure. ;)

7. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Kenwood made some great stuff. I've never heard a crummy one yet, except for a unit needing repair. Great tuners and great sound. You did great Spaceman!:yes: You guys always find all the great deals! I need to move north.:yes: Brad

8. spaceman

Well, I made the trip downtown yesterday, to buy some De-Ox from the Guitar Center on Westlake. It's a little hard to find here in Seattle, but they had a goodly supply of D5, F5 (Faderlube), & De-Ox Gold, around $13 after tax for a 5 oz. can. :smoke: I noticed that the KR-7400 uses NEC output transistors, & wonder how much that contributes to that nice sound. :scratch2: The Concept 5.5 I scored not long ago uses a pair of Toshibas and a pair of NECs as well, and these are the 1st units I remember seeing with NECs. Both of these receivers are definitely better than average sounding, so I'd have to say they must be pretty good transistors. :yes: