Kenwood KR 7600-tuning meter

If the string is broken and the tuner isn't already tuned clearly to a station in stereo then I'd say yes, they are linked. Open the case and check operation of the tuning knob and string. The stereo signal light could also be burned out as well.

Receiver tuner is working and I can tune stations. Signal strength meter is working (not without issue).

Yes a tuner related question. Your other posts were moved to the Kenwood forum. Yes it is probably related. Stereo indication and muting are usually tied into with discriminator circuit. If not zero tuned will not receive in stereo.

I will check the schematic, since no one else seems to want to, hifiengine to the rescue again.
Okay, it is the old HA1137 chip, used in 1000's of tuners, the tuning meter is shorted out by the Selector switch when not in FM mode.
So, either
1) bad/open connections from the tuning meter to the AFC o/p on the tuner pcb
2) there is something open ckt in the AFC ckt for the HA1137. There are some caps to filter and a few R's to set the deviation, and tap off that to drive the tuning meter. There are a couple of inductors,Lg3,Lg4 in series with the tuning meter.
Open ckt between the ref bias pin 10 and the afc o/p,pin 7 on the HA1137(ICg1)
3) S1a-1R wafer is pouched, making it short out the meter all the time, check.
4) the tuning meter has gone south, you can test it out with a DMM in ohms mode to see if it deflects.
Not too much to it, good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom