Kenwood KR-9600

EchoWars

Hiding in Honduras
Sponsor
Does the 9600 have a subsonic filter? Want one, but need the filter for recording from vinyl and to keep my ported 15" JBL from freaking out.

I have a KA-5500 Integrated, but the filter cutoff is a stupid 40Hz/12dB-octave. Need something better...

Hi EW;

As well as bass, mid and treble variable tone controls the KR-9600 does have high and low filter push buttons. I couldn't locate my owners manual but my service manual shows filters specs as:

low filter -9db at 100hz
high filter -9db at 10khz

Lefty

Originally posted by Lefty
Hi EW;

As well as bass, mid and treble variable tone controls the KR-9600 does have high and low filter push buttons. I couldn't locate my owners manual but my service manual shows filters specs as:

low filter -9db at 100hz
high filter -9db at 10khz

Lefty
-9 at 100Hz? Christ, thats even more useless than the one on my KA.

bully seems to think it's subsonic, you seem to think it's a standard low filter. If the service manual describes it as 9db down at 100Hz, tend to think it might be correct.

Thanks for the pics wjahn5.
Bummer.

Are you still thinking of buying one?

I had a Pioneer SX-1080 at one time and it sounded great. Then I bought the KR-9600 and used it in place of the 1080. I must say, the 1080 sounded better to me. However, the 9600 probably needs to be serviced. I know at low volumes one channel would cutout or be a little distorted. Playing with the volume would clear it up for a short time. Probably need to try the spray cleaning described elsewhere on this site to see if that clears it up. Have to many other items to mess with it any time soon.

DAMMIT!!!!!!

Had a long-ass reply and the friggin' board ate it!! I hate that!!!

Yes, still interested. I might snag a 9600 and rebuild the filter to act as a subsonic. Much more useful.

wjahn5, you may have a dirty switch or pot (easy to clean, unlike the Pioneer's I've worked on), or a dirty output relay. It's also possible that the bias current is too low, especially is the problem is more apparent the first half-hour that it is on. All the above are easy fixes. Every 70's Kenwood I have ever heard held its own vs any other manufacturer of that vintage, so unless the differences were more a matter of taste, then yours may need attention.

my Kenwood KR-8010 has the filters, the subsonic is at 18hz with a 12db/octave curve from there

the 8010 is very hard to find, and even harder to try and get parts for, although Oak Tree has one for $275 (plus mine has the optional full wood case)

I am STILL looking for that stupid mechanical linakge part that Kenwood put on some of their units, and can't fint it, nor a differnt model with the same part

Back
Top Bottom