Kenwood KS-4000R Receiver

Theophilus Punoval

The Queen says it's OK...
Does anybody have information about an old, very basic model, the Kenwood KS-4000R receiver? It only has one pair of speaker outputs - with RCA plugs no less - and phono/tape monitor inputs with no AUX.

I was wondering about the years made, output and if it was a decent unit or a throwaway. I'm guessing from the RCA speaker outputs it's an earlier model.

Thanks.

Are you sure? It has an analog tuner and RCA plugs for the one pair of speakers it runs which doesn't strike me as mid-80s gear. I've been wrong before, though.

I have one of these. It's not a bad unit, although it does have its limitations. It apparently shipped as part of a bundled system (receiver, turntable, and bookshelf speakers) as suggested by the cover illustration on this KS-4000 service manual. The RCA speaker plugs were common on integrated systems back in the '70s and early '80s. The model number is also a giveaway. Kenwood components of that era had an alphanumeric model number consisting of two letters followed by a four-digit number. The first letter was always 'K' for Kenwood and the second letter was suggestive of the type of component (e.g., 'A' for amplifier, 'D' for tape deck, 'R' for receiver, or 'T' for tuner). The letter 'S' in this unit's model number would appear to be an anomaly. Logically, it should be an 'R' for receiver but instead it has an 'S' for system. The 'R' for receiver follows the numerals, which is inconsistent with Kenwood's standard model numbering system but makes sense when you realize the model number applies to the collection of components as a whole, rather than the individual piece. The turntable was apparently a KS-4000T and the speakers would have been similarly numbered.

Attachments

• ks4000man.jpg
    ks4000man.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 90
My father bought this brand new in 1978 or 1979. I am currently cleaning/deoxidizing it and a turntable for my daughters b-day. Add an equalizer to it and it rocks pretty well. He bought it as a receiver only, nothing else came with it.

Got it up and running. Connected to some small speakers it is just 'OK'...Connected to my Martin Logan Preface and HOLY F_CK!!! While it of course has its limitations, I haven't heard analog sound this good in over 35 years!

As an aside, Parts Express sells the radio dial light fuse for $1. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Kenwood KS-4000R, 1980-1984, per Orion with all its mistakes. We'll revisit this thread in another few years just to keep it fresh.

Back
Top Bottom