Kenwood KT-7300 - Need Help With Replacement Lights

dvdan1

Hello all, I'm somewhat of a newbie here. Recently I rescued my Kenwood KA-5700 amp from 30 years of basement exile and now have it once again featured in my system. I always loved the cool blue glow of other brands' lights, so I located a supplier for blue LEDs and swapped them with the non-working incandescent lights. Then I purchased a KT-3700 tuner and ordered blue LEDs for it also. They are the wedge base variety with rubber/plastic sockets. The problem I have is fitting them into the socket holes. The sockets just don't want to seem to fit in no matter how much I push, twist or wiggle. The holes (4 total) are 1/2" openings. The sockets are a tad bigger, but I'm guessing they're meant to be that way to stay firm in the holes once inserted. The old sockets are also a tad larger than 1/2". I tried using some spray-on plastic lubricants, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? I'm attaching photos of the new and old lights and the hole. Any help would be appreciated!IMG_1044.JPG7300-1[6].JPG

Last edited:
Try and install the LED into the original rubber boot. I've installed many incandescent wedge base lamps into the original boots and they fit just fine.

Try and install the LED into the original rubber boot. I've installed many incandescent wedge base lamps into the original boots and they fit just fine.
Thanks for the reply, gort69. I would try that, except the original socket doesn't have the connections built in like the wedge socket does. The leads are directly wired to the lamps. I've been trying to solve the problem without having to solder anything, but I think I'm going to have to put my rudimentary soldering skills to the test to make this work. Unless anyone can figure another solution. Thanks!

You could shave the new rubber boot down or increase the hole size in the chassis. Have you seen the results of a relamping with LED's? Personally, I think the original incandescents with a color lense is superior to an LED but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom