Kenwood KX-2060 cassette deck belts

robbe_15

I need belts for this beautifulll deck but I can't find them. I find only 1030 and 1060 but I presume these are different.
Some one please can give me a link were to order them.:D

What size and shape did you end up ordering?
I measured the old belts according the tutorial on the site and ended with folowing belts,2 of each for my 2 KX-2060
FBS8.0 Flat Belt, Small 8.0 Inch
SBS5.1 Square Belt, Small 5.1 Inch

I did not change the belts for the counter because it seems to be in fair shape.
I like the sound of this deck.When it came out it was rather expensive and the TOTL deck of Kenwood.
PC110008.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
P1050290.JPG P1050293.JPG I just picked one of these up at a thrift store near me. Needs belts but overall in 9 out of 10 appearance top to bottom. All the lights working and the motor engages with the front controls. I popped the top and the two belts on the motor pully are shot. Whats left of the belts are like black putty. I have a copy of the service manual, but no details on belt changing in it. Whats the procedure for replacing the belts on this model? Looks like the big flywheel for the FBS8.0 belt must be removed to do it? I think I can slip both belts on the motor pully without taking anything apart, and it looks like three small screws are holding the flywheel bracket in place. And it looks like the SBS5.1 goes on the motor pully before and besides the FBS8.0. Thanks!...........

Hi,

Long ago but if I remember correct I loosened the plastic screw that holds the fly weel just enough to put belt over the wheel ,then screwed plastic screw back until speed slows down then loosen it very little again. Don't forget to clean first:music:

These are nice decks indeed, have 2 of them.

robbe_15,
Thankyou for replying! After I clean this up best as I can, I will try this to install the belts. Beats removing the flywheel mount assembly all together. I think the 5.1in square belt will be easy. Turntable needles still has them in stock too. I'm waiting til this weekend to order, I looked at a few turntable headshells there. I may order a few too. I'll check back in when I complete it.....

I'm looking at your linked thread, thats a good option to remove the steel screw to get the space opened alittle. I was looking at the nylon screw on mine and thought this looks too soft to turn, but it looks like it has to be separated from the flywheel to get the belt past it. If you look at the motor pully on my picture you can just see a piece of the old belt stuck on it. I tried removing the belt and cleaning the pully as attached, what a bear to clean. The motor pully still has sticky gunk I cant get off 100% I used rubbing alcohol, and then mineral spirits both with q tips. then i used dental floss and kite string soaked in mineral spirits and spun the pully with it, trying to pick up what I could.

Is there an owners manual out there on the web. The service manual doesn't tell how to use the player. Lots of controls and adjustments for recording and I guess playback on this deck.

Rich K1 thanks for reponding.

A few pictures.... you can see the motor pully through the slot in the one picture

Attachments

• P1050294.JPG
    P1050294.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 48
  • P1050296.JPG
    P1050296.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P1050298.JPG
    P1050298.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 49
Well the Kenwood has its new belts. I also cleaned the pinch roller and tape heads with q-tips damped with rubbing alcohol. Putting the flywheel belt on was a little challenging. I had to remove the nylon cap. Its seems as if that it is just that, a cap. I removed the far end screw on the flywheel bracket right side and loosened the 2 left side screws. I fed the belt around the flywheel and over the motor pully. Noticed it was twisted, so I flipped the twist over and hand turned the flywheel til it was out. The 5.1in square belt was easy and went on first. It went smooth enough though.

The Kenwood sounds really, really nice. I have some cassettes from the 80's I listened too .

I also snagged a Marantz SD-420 cassette deck too at another thrift store a few weeks before, it needed cleaned up alittle and a new belt too.

I ordered all my belts from Turntableneedles too.

The Kenwood definitely sounds better than the Marantz, but both are very close in sound. Maybe the Marantz is a little flatter sounding. The Kenwood has maybe alittle more warmth in the midrange I feel. The Kenwood just looks so bad a** though. I 'm enjoying playing both. They are both keepers for me.

P1050301.JPG
P1050304.JPG

Any idea the size of the tape counter belt? Mine is stretched and permanently in a oval shape, and I'd like to replace it. All the kits I see for sale only have two belts though. Vintage-electronics, turntableneedles, and eBay all only sell two belts for this deck.

Charles.

Well, I removed the belt and measured it. Square belt, .042" cross section, 5.5" circumference. There are belts available that almost exactly match that: .043" x 5.5". May just be a little dried out and .001" thinner from age.

Charles.

Back
Top Bottom