Kenwood L-07M Listening Impressions...

The L-07M is an earlier amp than the High Speed discussion that Kenwood used throughout their line with specs for rise time and slew rate. These specs usually included a very high frequency limit for the amp. The Mk II shows this with the 600kHz top frequency. The non-Mk II doesn't go that high and is rated to 50kHz. I don't know about hard to find parts for this amp. Maybe those that have experience inside can fill in that info. I don't think using a good quality replacement transistor would change the characteristics as much as on the later Mk II amps.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/kenwood-L-07M.html

Well there are a couple of fat axial caps that may be hard to replace neatly. It is not good to have longer leads than absolutely necessary so I would think if these were replaced, that axials should be used instead of radials.

If there are "black flag" caps they should be replaced as they are known to go bad as first documented by EchoWars. Discussions of black flags usually include oscillation and instability. Those are not hard to replace though, and options have also been thoroughly discussed here. Better to replace a few small caps than to risk having to fool with output transistors (especially for the Mk II).

HackWhite, you gave a good quality system out there. If you are looking for a preamp, then L-07C is the matching preamp for your units, L-07C II being the preamp of the Mark II L-07Ms. Be aware of the "flag caps" in the L-07C II preamps.
Recently I had a problem with the left channel of my L-07CII pre which, at this point, I can say was due to those "black flags". I changed them with Cornell Dubilier silver mica or Wima FKP.
But, in your case I wouldn't be that concerned of the preamp, that Sansui is a good pre on its own right, but on finding a good source and better speakers.
Succes!

HackWhite, you gave a good quality system out there. If you are looking for a preamp, then L-07C is the matching preamp for your units, L-07C II being the preamp of the Mark II L-07Ms. Be aware of the "flag caps" in the L-07C II preamps.
Recently I had a problem with the left channel of my L-07CII pre which, at this point, I can say was due to those "black flags". I changed them with Cornell Dubilier silver mica or Wima FKP.
But, in your case I wouldn't be that concerned of the preamp, that Sansui is a good pre on its own right, but on finding a good source and better speakers.
Succes!
Thanks!
I'm going to wait on upgrading my speakers and preamp... I'm on the lookout for a better CD player and Turntable... Might even get an AirPlay for streaming convenience

I want to add to this post for all who are interested...
I've now had the L-07M's for about a year and a half. I've replaced speakers, preamps, sources, etc; but have held on to these amps exclusively. They are my reference.
I'm currently using them with a new pair of KEF LS50's and the sound is superb. My source is Foobar2000, playing FLACs.
I was finally able to track down the matching preamp to these monoblocks, the L-07C, and I can say that it's the best sounding preamp I've hooked up to them.
The L-07M's, along with the L-07C have all been completely restored top to bottom and are performing as they should. Virtually zero noise floor!
I have about $1200 invested into the whole set, including restoration costs. No regrets whatsoever!
F4B2D6FF-6804-49B4-AF6E-F57F33A78368.JPG

Last edited:
That gear was great when new, glad to see a set will perform after a trip to the spa. Excellent long term gear.

HackWhite, great to know after 2 years they are still your reference amps.

I picked up a pair of l-07m over the winter and haven't put the old mono blocks back in. I'm enjoying the l-07m amps too.

I can't afford (or justify) a l-07c but did pick up a c2. I haven't got it in the system but hope to post my impressions in a separate c2 thread.

HackWhite, great to know after 2 years they are still your reference amps.

I picked up a pair of l-07m over the winter and haven't put the old mono blocks back in. I'm enjoying the l-07m amps too.

I can't afford (or justify) a l-07c but did pick up a c2. I haven't got it in the system but hope to post my impressions in a separate c2 thread.
Hey Rickl,
Any update? I'm still thoroughly enjoying my L-07M's and L-07C. Absolutely superb gear!

I picked up a C2 and recapped it. I added new opamps, sockets, and 16v zeners. Can't get the balance to work so I did the 182K balance hack.

It is still in the test room but sounds nice with a citation 22, hafler 200 or a marantz 250. Still needs to be in the big system for a full evaluation.

I still like the L-07Ms with the BT-2 pre so I'm not in a hurry. I had a Mac pre and a big hafler in the main system but it got moved into a spare bedroom when the Kenwood monoblocks where installed. I should put the c2 in the spare bedroom for an eval. Maybe this holiday weekend I'll move some stuff around.

Those l07m are nice.

Hey Rickl,
Any update? I'm still thoroughly enjoying my L-07M's and L-07C. Absolutely superb gear!
The L series gear is truly special, and having the matching pre to go with the amps definitely takes them to a completely different level. Enjoy:beerchug:

The L series gear is truly special. Enjoy:beerchug:

Before I was actively hanging out here, I had no idea. I was (am?) a big Hafler fanboy and thought they were good enough.

I picked up a pair of mono blocks knowing I could sell them if I didn't like them. Now I'm thinking of letting go of all my Mark IIIs (and I have many!) knowing they probably won't get back in. It makes it easy to "thin the herd" when you have nice equipment.

I picked up a pair of 7 IIs recently. Nice but I wouldn't give up my tube amps for them. I would like to try them again with different speakers.

Before I was actively hanging out here, I had no idea. I was (am?) a big Hafler fanboy and thought they were good enough.

I picked up a pair of mono blocks knowing I could sell them if I didn't like them. Now I'm thinking of letting go of all my Mark IIIs (and I have many!) knowing they probably won't get back in. It makes it easy to "thin the herd" when you have nice equipment.
Pair that C2 with the L-07s and you'll be very happy. Find an 07C or Cll and you'll be amazed.

I had the c2 in for about an hour.

I like to have my sub on with the Maggies, and I didn't like the C2 Loudness. My other pre amps have two outputs so one is for the the sub and one running the speakers full range. I ordered some RCA splitters so I'll be able to connect the sub.

Put on Crime of the Century and realized I haven't listened to this CD in many years. Put on A Love Supreme (something I know). It sounded fine.

Couldn't get Kind of Blue on the TT working so I'll need to look at that. Just hum.

I need to listen more but so far I like the pre.

20190705_184232.jpg
Pulled the c2 and tried my test tt. No hum.

Added a ground to my w. German tt and got the hum under control.

Back in with the mono blocks

Hey all, I just wanted to update this thread.

I have been using the L-07M's, along with the L-07C, for about 3 years now.
I've had countless amplifiers come in and out of my system, but the L-07M's have always stayed on top.

Right now, I'm using them with a pair of Phase Technology PC 1.5's in a nearfield position. One of the things I like so much about the L-07M's is that they are dead silent. Seriously. Even when sitting less than 4 feet away from my speakers, I can not hear the slightest hiss. The noise floor is basically non-existent. Every speaker I've had hooked up to the L-07M's has been gripped by the neck tight, taken full control of. The L-07M's have serious finesse. The L-07C preamp is the icing on the cake.

image0 (1).jpeg

HackWhite, that looks like a great setup. I sure like the look.

One thing that I like about the C2 and L07c is the output relay. With my remote triggered L-07Ms, it is nice to have. I don't have another pre with a relay on the pre. I currently have a Mac pre in but think an 07c might be in my future.

I'm going to try a different approach with the remotes and see if this will work better with more inferior gear ;)

hi connor g,

how do rate your luxman m4000 to your kenwood l07m using sansui au11000 and l07c as preamp?

thanks and regards,
nick

@conner G - Are you still using the Philips 212 Turntable with a Shure M97XE? That's a sweet TT/cart setup but as a L-07II owner, I can tell you that if you thought you've heard the peak performance level out of these things, a TT/cart upgrade will take them to yet another level. Especially an upgraded cartridge.

Another interesting direction is to let them drive some tubes from somewhere. The accuracy of the SS and the warmth of the tubes is a unique non-fatiguing world of it's own.

@conner G - Are you still using the Philips 212 Turntable with a Shure M97XE? That's a sweet TT/cart setup but as a L-07II owner, I can tell you that if you thought you've heard the peak performance level out of these things, a TT/cart upgrade will take them to yet another level. Especially an upgraded cartridge.

Another interesting direction is to let them drive some tubes from somewhere. The accuracy of the SS and the warmth of the tubes is a unique non-fatiguing world of it's own.
Thanks for the advice! I don't have the 212 anymore, but I have an L-07D coming to me soon from a friend, which I will be installing a SoundSmith cart onto. The combo should be world class.
Have you heard both the L-07M and the L-07MII? If so, is there a big difference between the two? Thanks.
By the way, I had a Cary Audio SLP-30 tube preamp hooked up to them after I recapped it for a friend of mine. The combo was absolutely superb!

Back
Top Bottom