Kenwood L series.

Jota2

Hello ;
Life happened. A change in jobs, new home and a new financial reality kept my audio activities to a minimum

I did manage to keep all of my Kenwood L series gear. A pair of L-05s, a pair of
L-07Ms a pair of L-09Ms. Two L-07IIC preamps and a L-07TII tuner and two KD-500 turntables,
one with a late series Infinity Black Widow/ADC-ZLM the other with an Audiocraft AC-30/ADC-XLM.
The L-09Ms are powering a pair of B&W 803 Nautilus and the L-07Ms run a pair of Spice TC-60s. .
Currently all seems to be well, I do think it's time to get some of it improved.

Who here on AK would work on the L-09s or the L-07CII? Maybe its all ok I can't say I am having any problems yet.

Thanks in advance , it's good to be back

Last edited:
I have the L-07M's. I just had them redone and they really sound great but they really are a true DC design and my tech found out that if your pre- took a bit to trickle the power after turning off, it will connect to the speakers. He said be careful with the pre-amp.
Did Your tech have a solution?

Switchable preamp outputs would allow one to disconnect the preamp output when turning on or off. That would be one solution, I would expect. And of course, a preamp that is functioning properly.

I have the L-07M's. I just had them redone and they really sound great but they really are a true DC design and my tech found out that if your pre- took a bit to trickle the power after turning off, it will connect to the speakers. He said be careful with the pre-amp.

It's been a while since I've owned Sevens. I could swear they are relay protected so the relay should open immediately when power is turned off. My Nines are relay protected and behave this way.

It's been a while since I've owned Sevens. I could swear they are relay protected so the relay should open immediately when power is turned off. My Nines are relay protected and behave this way.
I believe you are right. The "click" that is heard when powering them on, (both the 7s and the 9s) is the protection relay. I don't know enough about the internals to say that is always adequate.

My L-09M's were refurbished by AK'er EchoWars. I don't know if Glenn is taking on any new work, but you could try contacting him by PM and inquire.

My L-09M's were refurbished by AK'er EchoWars. I don't know if Glenn is taking on any new work, but you could try contacting him by PM and inquire.
I will likely do that. did notice Glenn has not logged in here since may of 2017

I have 4 L-07s, 2 of which are no longer working. I suspect it has something to do with the protective relay. They just took longer and longer and "click" on. The 2 that still work seem to take longer than they used to. Would be interested in having them repaired if possible. I have a pair of Infinity Quantum 2s that I would love to bi-amp if I could get all 4 going again. I've used an assortment of Concept 2 - 2.5 receivers as preamps for decades. I worked for Pacific Stereo back in the late '70s and this was one of our go-to setups as far as bang for the buck (along with the Kenwood turntable with Infinity Black Widow tonearm - which I never got around to, sadly).

I have 4 L-07s, 2 of which are no longer working. I suspect it has something to do with the protective relay. They just took longer and longer and "click" on. The 2 that still work seem to take longer than they used to. Would be interested in having them repaired if possible. I have a pair of Infinity Quantum 2s that I would love to bi-amp if I could get all 4 going again. I've used an assortment of Concept 2 - 2.5 receivers as preamps for decades. I worked for Pacific Stereo back in the late '70s and this was one of our go-to setups as far as bang for the buck (along with the Kenwood turntable with Infinity Black Widow tonearm - which I never got around to, sadly).
I would think it possible to repair all four of your amps. You should seek out someone to do that for your. Well worth it.

I had a L-07CII pre-amp take out one of my L-07Ms a few weeks ago on the system in my home office. One pop, not even that loud, then dead amp. I opened it up and the 5A fuse was blown. I put a new fuse in and it blew as soon as I powered up the amp:(.
short somewhere. The Pre is on its was to be fixed, then I will look at getting the 7M back in service.I am listening to my KA701 in its stead. I had forgot how nice the 701 sounds. 80$ well spent:) speakers in use are a pair of Spica TC-60s.
I am currently listening to a KD-500 with a Black Widow/ADC ZLM improved cart on my main system. It sounds great. That will move to the office once Jim Campbell gets my
Thorens 124 MK I done.

Last edited:
Some of the parts are unobtanium in them. Make sure you take them to someone who really understands the L-07M/09 architecture. They are quite unique.

Is it the 07 or the 07 II that have very rarium parts? Or both of them?

When I get a Kenwood L-07 M/MII or L-09 M, i always give them a great revision. All Caps new, al Zener- diodes new, all Relays, clean the PCB´s and much more to do. For a L-07 M /MII i need about 30 hours for the revision. When you have done a good work these amplifiers will work without any Problems for many years again. These amps have a great sound when they work fine again.
Richard

Hello Richard :
I have one of the L-07CII off being repaired/restored.
by AKr HopJohn I would imagine I will have it back in a few weeks.
I am looking forward to hearing the difference, old vs restored.
David

After John is done with the first I will consider getting the second done. Think next is a repair and upgrade on a pair of L-07Ms . I would like to ultimately get the 9s looked at but that will need to Wait a bit. Just got the Thorens 124 MKI in service
And waiting on the slate plinth from Jim Cambell for that.

Thanks for the info. The 7C is on his bench now.
If that or me don't give him second thoughts the 7Ms
are next.
David

HI all AKer's, I got a pair L-07M II brand new never use, test and sound good. Follow EchoWars's advice I will replace all black caps. My question is do I need to replace all other aluminium electrolytic capacitors since they are 40 years old?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom