Kenwood L07-T vs. L-07TII Which is the Better Tuner

maxsnafu

As far as I can tell the major difference between the L-07T and L-07TII is that the L-07TII has a Pulse Count Detector versus the L-07T's Phase Lock Loop (I think). Anyone here have any *informed* opinion as to which is the better of the two and why?
Thanks!

I was incorrect. The L-07T has a quadrature detector according to TIC--NOT
a Phase Lock Loop. Nevertheless, which of the two are better and why?

Well I will be interested in the comments as an owner of a II, but I just bought it based on condition and it's avaliblity on E-bay at the time so don't have any experiance with the I model. I just like 7 gang tuners!

Lefty

Haven't been able to compare the two, but in working with other Kenwood tuners, the pluse count detector is cleaner and quieter.

X

In the L-07TII there are also 2 ceramic filters in the meter drive circuits--like
in the 600T. Do these also affect the waveform of the Multipath output?
Also, when a Selectivity mod is done on a tuner like this is it also advisable
to replace those two filters with filters matched in center frequency to the ones installed in the IF strip? I am curious because in situations such as this
I have seen a difference between Center-of-Channel tuning on the meter and correct tuning viewed on an X-Y Multipath display.

If you haven't yet, check out the comparison at www.FMTunerInfo.com. They have some good words for both of them. I've been looking for a L-07T to mate up with my L-09's. Great looking tuners, I'd love to hear one.

And of course, the auction price for the L-07T II is 30% more than the average of the L-07T, according to TIC. The T II is referred to as "very rare" versus "rare" for the T.

David Rich wrote an article in "The Audio Critic" (#24) about FM tuner design and was very negative about the quadrature detector as a design element. The II has the theoretical advantage. I have no direct experience with either but they look sharp!

^Very nice. I think prices on T-2s have gone up considerably since I bought mine several years ago.

I have a t2 with full Joseph Chow upgrade. Great sounding tuner but not using it right now. Currently I have been partial to tuners with presets.

Back
Top Bottom