Kenwood LS-1600

Keng84

Im going to pick up a set of Kenwood LS1600 speakers tomorrow. Unable to find anything really on these speakers. Anyone have a set or experienced them? What should i be expecting? for the price i figure i cant go wrong, but advice is always welcome.
Thanks

There are some VERY nice speakers in the "LS" line. I look forward to your impressions. In 3-4 weeks, I'll take delivery on a pair of LS-990's.

To be completely honest they are a very nice sounding speaker. Im not going to pretend to be a speaker coniseur because im not picky. But they are in my oppinion detailed with a good sound staging and are clear and crisp. A bit bright if you have the high gain turned up but all round nice speakers. Where abouts did you find your ls990s?

Limited info on Kenwood speakers generally. You might find some info at hifi engine.
Be sure to check that the surrounds are in good condition, they tend to rot out over the years become fragile and crumble esp if they are of foam construction.

They are in pretty good shape for 40 years old

Attachments

• 20170302_195143.jpg
    20170302_195143.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 56
To be completely honest they are a very nice sounding speaker. Im not going to pretend to be a speaker coniseur because im not picky. But they are in my oppinion detailed with a good sound staging and are clear and crisp. A bit bright if you have the high gain turned up but all round nice speakers. Where abouts did you find your ls990s?
ebay.... fortunately my nephew lives 15mi. from the seller, he will hand deliver in 2-3 weeks (no shipping!)

Nice. Id imagine shipping wouldnt be cheap if that's the route you had to take. Im not sure if im allowed asking thus but how much did they cost? Ive been trying to determine a value for mine

You have there the best speakers from the LS range (Linear Response), aside from the flagship LS-1900. There were many models from that series: LS-1900, LS-1600, LS-1200, LS-1000, LS-800 etc.

Attachments

• Kenwood 17.JPG
    Kenwood 17.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 107
  • kenwood81-16.jpg
    kenwood81-16.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 95
You have there the best speakers from the LS range (Linear Response), aside from the flagship LS-1900. There were many models from that series: LS-1900, LS-1600, LS-1200, LS-1000, LS-800 etc.
Yah so ive assumed/researched. But when almost every audiophile i personally know(its not alit only been collecting goin on couple years) ssyvtheve never heard of them or say some generic kenwood statement accompanied by lofi one almost believes them. But just turn them on and eniigh said. I just dont wanna keep them much longer and in a uninformed market where i am ir tends to be difficult. But they sound nice

I own a pair from new. Actually had 2 pairs and sorry I sold 1 pair to a friend back in the eighties. The pair I have will remain with me for life.
I have the original owners manual and the original Sales Brochure. I will scan and upload here when i have some time.

I own a pair from new. Actually had 2 pairs and sorry I sold 1 pair to a friend back in the eighties. The pair I have will remain with me for life.
I have the original owners manual and the original Sales Brochure. I will scan and upload here when i have some time.
thats fantastic. i really appreciate your effort. they are certainly one of a kind. where did you buy yours new?

I am from Jamaica and a friend of mine back in the eighties owned a Duty Free shop. I would buy all my Hi-Fi gear from him and whenever he had something interesting he would call me and he would sell to me at near cost and duty free. The LS-1600 were priced so good I bought 2 pairs at the time.
Also had a Kenwood L-02T ( The Holy grail in FM tuners) with the matching L-02A amplifier. I sold the L-02T some years ago on Ebay for $2500.00 and still have the L-02A

I pulled the LS-1600 brochure and it is sitting on my desk to remind me to scan

20170430_1128011_zpsrng0gqsq.jpg
LS-990's, Finally giving them a little test drive! We... like them

Which do you prefer, the LS 1600 or the LS 990? My buddy has a pair of HPM-100 (2 pairs actually but he kept the better set) and I loved the sound of them. He was playing a reel to reel and it sounded like we were in the recording studio or the bar/venue that the blues musicians were playing in. I loved that "there at the moment of recording" sound. I've looked up the HPM-100 and they're going for quite a bit of money for a decent set. I heard these LS 990 might do something similar. What's your take on it?

Back
Top Bottom