Kenwood speaker repair?

nadude98

7MGTE Power!
Hi, I have a pair of Kenwood speakers I picked up at the local goodwill and I got them home and found out the midrange on one of them is blown..... They are not anything special but they don't sound terrible either and I would like to fix them if possible. Model of the speaker is JL-1001AV and the tweeter is T06-0282-05.

Anyone have any suggestions...? Figure they are good enough for my grandkids.....lol.

I can't even find out enough about the midrange to shop for a replacement from parts express for something that would work..

Probably cant find much info on them because likely they were part of a Kenwood "combo" system,and as such any information/specs about them would probably need to reference the combo system's part number,and not the specific speaker part number.

Years ago I had a set of the Kenwood JL-1080AV speakers that I got from a stereo store that used to sell the Kenwood combo systems,and they'd end up with a bunch of the leftover Kenwood combo speakers when they would upgrade the customers systems with higher-end speakers,so they'd unload the leftovers at one of those "end of the year" close-out sales,and they were actually a pretty good deal.

And yeah,,,for what they were,,,they were'nt half bad,,,so I "get" where you're coming from...

There are two ways to go at this IMO.

First way,find another working/OEM/used replacement,that obviously could take a good while,and end up being entirely hit -or- miss.

Second way,dont sweat the details too much,these sorta speakers were'nt overly complex speakers @ all,typically no real crossovers or such,just inline caps or such,so yeah it's just your typical 8 ohm mass produced stuff,so honestly most any generic 8 ohm replacement should work reasonbly well,the only catch here is anytime you replace drivers like this,they should be replaced in pairs to ensure a more even match between the two speakers.

If you want a close match size wise,that's mostly NBD either,as that would be pretty straight forward as well.

HTH

Bret P.

Thanks Bret, it looks like I'll doing option one.. Simply Speakers got back to me and gave me a recommendation for a mid for them....

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

What mids did you end up going with? Do you like them?

I have a set of JL 901's owned since 1991. I recently put some dyna-mat on the interior in a few strategic places to knock out the ringing, and put in some speaker fill to damp them. They sound much better. I am going to actually brace them at some point. I would like to know what simply speakers reccommended for future reference should I need it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom