Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

I own all the Kenwood/Trio Supreme components,but sadly not these optional (and probably very expensive at the time) ultra rare cabinets. These are the look (and color) I likes best! In my book... keep it close to original as possible :thmbsp:

pics_v2.php_zpswokrt4vl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Yeah, these cabinets look amazing. I suppose thats oiled walnut?

Also I was wondering if anybody has EchoWars replacement list for the 700c+700m?

Yet another Supeme 600 owner checking in
SN 620226.

Looking for some advice if possible.
My electronic expierence is extremely limited.
I believe that I could identify a bulging, leaking cap or a charred resistor and that is about it.
I opened the hood on my 600 and it is very clean with no obvious problems.
Assuming bias is set what is the minimum service work required to prevent any potential damage down the road?
In other words how do I preserve the unit as best as possible by eliminating any known or outstanding " death" or "suicide" issues or components?

Agreed. Once you've seen the Supremes(No! Not Diana Ross etc) in their Rosewood cases, the nude look becomes sorely inadequate.

I love the wood look as well. Wish all of us 700 owners would get together and do a CNC run in different woods. Make mine in cherry!

One major benefit of the wooden case is the protection that it affords the faceplate, especially the edges. There's four of the woodcased Trios -- 2 x 700m & 2 x 700c -- for sale in Japan right now and the faceplates all look pretty much mint.

Another Supreme 600 owner checking in. I joined AK just so I could share in this thread.
SN: 420131

Boss's neighbor put a large pile of boxes at the curb for the garbage man. I picked them up as it started to rain and loaded them into my trunk. Got home opened everything up (the weight of the box should have told me something) and have been loving it ever since. This amp really opened up a new hobby for me and I am grateful.I have original box/warranty info/owners manual, the original owner was stationed in Hawaii and bought this there. I am a total believer that there are not that many of this Supreme pieces in circulation and feel fortunate to have stumbled across this one.

Question, opened it up and everything looks great inside just a little dust (think it spent much of its life in the box). I play it approx. 15 hours a week with no detectable issues. Is there any recommended service at this point? Should I have a tech check values, etc.?

Thanks again!

PS; also picked up on same curb a separate box including wooden case for the 600 ( mint as well) and a Pioneer TX-9500 II in box (with all associated literature).

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0242.jpg

Lucky dog.

I would think at a minimum to adjust the offset and the bias.

And based on my experience - which is a grand total of ONE - is that the power supply board would be well served with an overhaul (caps/transistors/zeners)

Woah! Are you serious about the neighbor tossing this thing to the dump??? OMFG... If this is true, thank you for rescuing it! This has to be the score of a lifetime! Enjoy this beautiful amp!

Thanks for your input. I too could not believe that this guy held onto this for over 30 years only to pile it all at the curb, with a heavy rain storm coming to boot.

gort69, is this the type of work any competent technician could do or should I source out an individual who has experience on vintage Kenwood equipment?

I would think that any competent repair tech familiar with vintage audio could set the bias and the offset, as well as overhaul the power supply. But wait for someone who knows more than me to reply - I only have experience with mine, which had a couple of dried/crumbling caps as well as a couple failed regulator transistors (which run wicked hot on these) on the power supply, and as such was inop. The good news is that the power supply board is the one (only!!) board that is easy to access on these (one screw).

I believe these are also known to frequently have leaking filter caps and there may be other common issues that should be addressed as a minimum.

Ps - Hard to tell from your photo - is that an original wood case? Looks a bit big side to side

Last edited:
The Model 500 and 600 both have a very high failure rate for the four big caps. Pop the bottom off and look for signs of corrosion around these suckers.

The regulated supply is a busy little bastard on this amp, but at least it pops right out of a computer style edge connector.

EW, it was one of Bully's posts at AA which led me here 13 years ago, but it was your posts which made me hang around. Have a Happy Christmas and all the best for the future.

Back
Top Bottom