Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Hi Glen,

Whats the main reason that cause the failure of this four big capacitor?? The reason is usually this capacitor's can last long compare to others in the amplifier. Most of my other audio gears still has the originals with it. My Model 600 has the big four capasitor changed,as u said there is corrosion around the area.

Just age, and that when we're talking about wet electrolytics, the big caps contain a lot more electrolyte than the small ones and keeping it in place with the construction techniques used in the 70's is a problem (modern screw-terminal caps are much better). And amps that have been sitting doing nothing for decades are much more prone to cap failure than one in continuous use.

Just age, and that when we're talking about wet electrolytics, the big caps contain a lot more electrolyte than the small ones and keeping it in place with the construction techniques used in the 70's is a problem (modern screw-terminal caps are much better). And amps that have been sitting doing nothing for decades are much more prone to cap failure than one in continuous use.
Mister EchoWars
I may have misunderstood you from another post
I had impression solder terminal preferable to screw type
You were lightly scolding someone for using this
Or maybe crimp on lugs?
Can not remember all details
I ask with regard to KA-8100 I have spoken with you regard
Apologies to thread for slight detour
JJ

I'd have to see the post. In modern caps, the most robust construction is with screw-terminal caps, followed by solder lug. Then four or five terminal snap-in caps, followed by two-terminal snap-in caps. Simplest is a two-terminal radial or axial leaded cap.

I'd have to see the post. In modern caps, the most robust construction is with screw-terminal caps, followed by solder lug. Then four or five terminal snap-in caps, followed by two-terminal snap-in caps. Simplest is a two-terminal radial or axial leaded cap.
I will try to locate I believe your comment was regarding electrical quality rather than mechanical
So no issue with screw type in KA-8100?
Is snap in just other way to say through hole?
JJ

I've not found a capacitor for the 8100 that fits into the stock holes. Capacitors have settled on some standards since then and the style of caps used in the 8100 are no longer around. Last lime I replaced these caps in a 8100 I found some snap-in caps that were the proper diameter and, with about 3/4" between the caps and the PC board, soldered wires to the snap-in leads and ran them to the proper solder pads on the board.

Through-hole is generally used to refer to any plane-Jane leaded cap:
41s%2B0-V2rUL._SX342_.jpg

...but technically I suppose it can refer to any cap that actually (wait for it) extends its leads through the PC board. That can be any sort of cap excepting a screw terminal cap.

I was just curious if any actual snapping going on
Familiar with the old multi value can types with twist locks just wonder about snap in
Just phrase in use for through lead types or actual snap
Thank you Mister EchoWars
JJ

Some student my son knows, made this for me!

A printed plastic knob cover!

As the cover is hollow and thin, this probably was a less easy task. Just a little extra sanding on the inside and it was a perfect fit.

kenwood-700c-newswitch.jpg

looks perfect shape! I wonder if some of that shiny aluminum colored spray paint would help it to blend in better?

I need(ed) one of those also. I think someone tried to pry mine off with wire cutters or something. Best I could come up with until I find the real deal
(fat chance) was one off of a KA-8006. The 8006 part is all plastic vs the 600's aluminum shell. Not exact, but it gets me by. It's the one on PHONO 1 IMPEDANCE

Nice! those sure look mint! Funny I faintly remember those boxes from 42 years ago.. Kinda wish I had kept them..

Hey I'm finally jumping on to this band wagon. I had a basket case supreme 600 that had stumped multiple tech shops in the stl area (preamp distortion and oscillation in the power supply could not be mended with a complete transistor replacement and new power supply caps apparently). I finally decided to sell it as a parts unit on eBay. I sold it a few months back...did anyone on here end up buying it by any chance??? Anyway I just caught some good luck on the bay recently and found a really nice working supreme 600 for $625! I just got it this week and it sounds fantastic. I immediately sent it off for a partial recap and overall checkup....figured I want to protect my investment after my horrible experience with the basket case. However, I wish I would have kept that parts unit now that I have this purtty one in my possession.

Wish echo wars could work on this but I don't have the patience for a years wait list!!! Darn you all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg