KENWOOD TK-60U loud buss when speakers turned on problem

MadeMine

Saved a Kenwood TK-60U from the garbage Sunday. I checked it out for power and was good on power. I'm just getting around to hooking it up since I got some other freebies with it. I hooked up my little test Magnavox speakers that I know are good. Let out the button for the speakers on and a loud buzz intermediately pressed button back in. It did the same thing in every function. I De-oxed all the controls and am gonna let it sit far a day.
I was reading the manual and it has some type of built in protection if you power it on with out the speakers connected, but the speaker button was pressed in (off) when I tried.
I'll add more tomorrow and maybe some pictures.
Let me know if anyone has had this problem, Or some ideas that may help to get this stereo going. It's from 1966.

Still the same loud buzz on both channels when I release the speaker button. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start to troubleshoot this problem?

The quick answer is the supply, while powering on, is filled with bad capacitors and is the most likely source of the buzz. Though it doesn't stop there, the TK-60 being an early solid state model is, at a minimum, in need of a complete recap if you ever want it to perform as it should. As you said it's from 1966 and fifty-one years old. I wouldn't power it on anymore until it can be serviced, it'll just do more harm to the unit and could also take your speakers with it.

If you don't already have one, the schematic can be found on hifiengine.com (free, but requires registration).
Have a dim bulb tester? No? There's lots of threads here on building one and is essential for power up of amps/recievers in unknown states of repair.
Know how to check / set offset and bias? No? That's essential reading as well and is specific model to model.

Back
Top Bottom