KG4 upgrade

I have heard the Crites Ti does wonders for the Heresy line as well. I will try it first on the KG4s

Just got some KG4 last weekend. Sound really good with tubes but yes - would still love to further refine that high end - a bit smoother, less fatiguing, more rounded, etc. Which exact Crites tweets do I need for KG4, is any sodering needed? How much $$. Can even a mechanical idiot like yours truly drop these babies in or should I get help?

Just got some KG4 last weekend. Sound really good with tubes but yes - would still love to further refine that high end - a bit smoother, less fatiguing, more rounded, etc. Which exact Crites tweets do I need for KG4, is any sodering needed? How much $$. Can even a mechanical idiot like yours truly drop these babies in or should I get help?
It's not the whole tweeter, just the diaphragms that get swapped out. No soldering necessary. Used to be about $60/pair, may still be. Easy as pie. Mmmm, pie (slobber slobber).

DC587853-9BE2-429F-B380-D763532C9B2D.jpeg Greetings, I changed tweeter diaphragms as suggested and fired up my old Carver Reciever to drive the pair. I momentarily had a sonic flashback to my 80’s when I first purchased gear.
Question, I ordered crossover kit from Bob, but at first glance crossover board looks like new.
I realize cap degradation over the years and I will change out.
Just need reassurance of payoff.
Cheers

Last edited:
I just noticed that the cap I had installed was of the incorrect values. Notice the Big black Jantzan cap is the wrong value. No matter, have a sonic cap with the correct value here in stock to replace. Sounds good with the wrong cap installed anyway. Been playing like this for years, never noticed any difference. Been a jet mechanic so what would I know:)

Regarding these Crites upgrades I read about here at AK, has anyone done any blind testing to ascertain whether or not these upgrades are truly audible, let alone an improvement (ie., make the sound more like real music)?

I don't want to cause a flame war here, but it seems to me that after a person has invested money in the parts and time in swapping them in, there's bound to be some expectation bias at play making it very easy to imagine improvements that may not really be there.

The only person that should matter is your own ears. I have done several speakers of different variety, and some make a Hugh difference, some not so much. Thousands of people would not do it if it did not make some sort of improvement.

The only person that should matter is your own ears. I have done several speakers of different variety, and some make a Hugh difference, some not so much. Thousands of people would not do it if it did not make some sort of improvement.

Ya, and apparently thousands of people think the earth is flat, despite eclipses that everyone can see with their own eyes.
Don't get me wrong, I won't own a set of Klipsch without the Ti upgrade. In fact, I purchased extra sets when I thought they wouldn't be available anymore. Another important note - some Klipsch will benefit more than others. YMMV.

But the question is valid. Myself and others have only replaced one diaphragm at a time, and yes, I could tell the diff. But that doesn't mean everyone will. For the price, it's worth the test, IMO.

I’ll the give my upgrade time to nest and will give them a go full on when family is out. Until then thanks for the PSA.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom