King Roger The Great

skraggs

topelement.jpg

One month after winning his record 20th grand slam title, Roger Federer returns to the top of the ATP rankings on monday. At age 36 (and a half), he will be the oldest #1 of all time, setting yet another record in an incredible career.

Admittedly, I'm biased because the guy grew up 10 minutes from where I live and used to attend the local football team's matches, but to me the last 15 months or so have cemented this guy's status as the greatest athlete to ever walk this planet. I love watching him play, because in a sport where power and athleticism have dominated he makes it look effortless and elegant. At an age where most careers have already come to an end he's playing some of his best tennis and looks much healthier than all the other top players, all of whom are younger than him (pretty sure his play style his something to do with that), so who knows how long this fairy tale continues.

Titles and records are only one part of his legacy though. I can't remember an athlete who has been as universally admired as him. Wherever he plays these days, he has home field advantage. Fans from all over the world are turning tennis courts into football fields, complete madness...

All hail King Roger!

Back
Top Bottom