klh 363

mpribble

Anybody know anything about these speakers can't find much on the web.
Picked up a pair today at garage sale for $30.00 in pretty good shape. They are heavy as heck and have a ugly to me vinyl covering on them.

I snagged a 1-owner pair of CL for twice what you paid, but aside from some edge scruffs and sticky vinyl "veneers" - they were perfect.

As you know by know, well-made 3-ways with the cloth surrounds on the woofers and finicky "grill covers". I freshened up all the surrounds and the edges of the dust-covers on all the speakers with the cloth-speaker-surround "stuff" from "VintageAR" on e-bay.

They sound fine, and were certainly more affordable that trying to snag a bigger-named pair of KLH on the 'net with the shipping charges.

ETA: I'm sure the next step is to re-cap them, as I think there is more to be heard from them.

What is this "stuff" you talk about for the surounds you did? Did you put new on? And yes the grills are a little funky to get on.

What is this "stuff" you talk about for the surounds you did? Did you put new on? And yes the grills are a little funky to get on.

This...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACOUSTIC-RE...GE-SEALANT-KIT-ALSO-KLH-ALLISON-/191555285308

Basically, this concoction is Toluene and pure butyl rubber that has dissolved into a "paint", per the original KLH formulations.

Paint this on the cloth speaker surrounds, and according to KLH - around the edges of the dustcaps in the center of the speakers. It never actually dries - always remains tacky and flexible - while sealing from air.

All 3 of the drivers in my 363s have the cloth surrounds. I use this all my speakers with cloth surrounds.

Any pics???

I believe the woofers were still much like the woofers or even the same as what were used in the iconic 6's. Are they 10"? The line of KLH's that include the 363 I believe were produced during the Singer owned era, probably mid 70's. I don't think that the tweeters were the same as what were used in the earlier models. This era of KLH was the first step away from the era that KLH earned their stripes so to speak, but very much worth keeping and restoring. As already stated, the cloth surrounds need to be retreated as they become porous over time, allowing air to leak through the cloth which affects the bass production. Use the product already mentioned, period. Put in new capacitors as well as the originals most likely are way out of spec or non functional. Not much here on AK regarding the 363's. Post some pics. I'd also like to see what the crossover network looks like.

Cheers!

Finally snagged pics of these as I rotated them back into front duties...

Front of KLH-363s...

BothKLH363s_zpslee8e5av.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back of a 363...

KLH363Back_zpswcnkemrc.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

We can ignore the ugly grills..

If anyone knows which "classic KLH" these are supposed to be modern derivatives of, I'd appreciate it. I doubt they are re-imagined KLH-5s.

Re-post my pics after P-bucket decided to re-arrange things...

The grill clothes are a very dark choc brown, nothing as light as the flash leads you to believe...

KLH363front_zpsitpcdco5.jpeg

KLH363Back_zpswcnkemrc.jpeg

BothKLH363s_zpslee8e5av.jpeg

These are like 24" tall, by 13" W and 12" deep.

Still haven't gotten around to getting inside and re-capping, de-oxing the rheostats.

ETA: They sound good to me, but mine is an unqualified opinion in that I have no other large KLH to compare to, just small KLH-32s.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but just picked up a pair of these KLH Model 363's myself and WOW!!! How are these not more well known???!!!! I have owned many a pair of incredible speakers, from Klipsch to Polk to DCM Timeframes, HPM 100's and so on and these things are incredible! Just plain Jane looking but I love classic designs anyway but still, nothing special looks wise, both in excellent condition, no chips, grills are flawless except for dust, badges still intact, all drivers are well sealed, they actually look like they weren't played much or either kept in a nice environment. I'm really hoping someone out there can come up with the specs for these by now. Surely someone somewhere has come across an old owners manual or something by now? Anyone have an update to these? These should be way more coveted than many out there. Not real large but very well built and solid. Probably the best KLH speakers I've heard among the KLH line. Here's pics. Hope someone can post update on these for specs. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2979.JPG
    IMG_2979.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 53
A good friend who’s a record collector bought a custom veneered pair of these and they’re the best he’s had. He drives them with a McIntosh MC2505 and they’re awesome. I had some model 58s and they were as good aside from the bass of a smaller cabinet. The peerless tweeters don’t like clipping. If ever lucky enough to find a pair, I have to suggest getting them as soon as safely possible.

A good friend who’s a record collector bought a custom veneered pair of these and they’re the best he’s had. He drives them with a McIntosh MC2505 and they’re awesome. I had some model 58s and they were as good aside from the bass of a smaller cabinet. The peerless tweeters don’t like clipping. If ever lucky enough to find a pair, I have to suggest getting them as soon as safely possible.

I just came across a nice pair for about $200. Been looking at 5's and 6's, should these be considered? How do they compare fidelity/soundstage wise?

I saw a pair at a restore while on vacation last week.....50$ was tempting ...great cosmetic condition........had to leave them

Back
Top Bottom