KLH Model Thirty-Three

lico

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Found a set of KLH 33s today. I picked them up just because of the Walnut cabinets and the name. I figure the cabinets could look real nice if I work on them, could be fun, maybe a DIY speaker project.

Right now, both drivers seem to work, but the sound is definitely "muffled" in the high end (especially compared to my new Advents, but I'd have to classify them as a "bright").

Anybody know anything about this speaker and if they are worth restoring? I read an old advertisement which said they sold for $100 new back in the early 70's, not sure how good they were back in the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 346
Muffled but bright ?????

Well,.....there is sweet and sour....

:D just sounds strange is all...or maybe it's the bottle of wine.

My bad, sorry. What I meant to say is I consider the Advents to be a bright speaker. Compared to other speakers I have, mostly modern ones, the Advents have more "air" to them, and emphasize the highs more.

Never having heard KLHs before, I guess I was expecting a similar sound from the 33s. Alas... not these ones.

Aahhh :yes:

Maybe just a recap in order then. Others will chime in I'm sure. Hope you get them tuned up.

Sounds like a recap may be worth the effort to see if it helps. Will open them up soon and start poking around. Drivers are functioning, but the sound is seriously wrong.

Art - thanks for the link on KLH, lots of good info over there.

definitely worth the effort. Any of the single and double digit KLHs are. The only ones that were mediocre were the 26.

If you can't get satisfaction with the KLH highs, you might consider swapping in a pair of EPI inverted domes... as in the ones from the early M100s and such. DROP IN fit. Sounds GREAT.

IME, the Model 33 has the best bass (fast and low) of the KLH 10"-woofer models. Interestingly enough, they were the ONLY model KLH made in that era, with VENTED boxes (ported!)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Well worth and easy to get up to spec and should easily compete with your Advents. Recap and enjoy.

lico,

Check out all the wiring inside the box to make sure someone hasn't been into them and messed up some wiring connections. All the drivers may be be working, but are they working together?

Noticing that on the right side speaker in your picture that the tweeter screen does not have the same outer ring of glue or putty (whatever it is) as the other one. Perhaps that one has been out before.

Thanks for the replies. I opened one tonight, all connections appear to be in order. Will try a recap tomorrow if I can pick some up at Rat Shack. I have to believe the caps are totally gone, the switch on the back hardly changes the sound at all. We shall see...

Thanks for the replies. I opened one tonight, all connections appear to be in order. Will try a recap tomorrow if I can pick some up at Rat Shack. I have to believe the caps are totally gone, the switch on the back hardly changes the sound at all. We shall see...

Order some decent caps from Parts Express, one of our sponsors, along with some DeOxit for the switch.

The RS near me carries nothing as far as parts go.

Nice speakers, btw.:thmbsp:

Thought I'd post an update on these guys. I ended up just re-capping with some NP electrolytics, and that opened up the high end quite a bit. Old caps were definitely a problem. Might go back and get some better spec'ed caps from Parts Express yet, just to see if that makes a difference.

After hearing them, decided to rework the cabinets. Sanded down to bare veneer, added a little red stain, and a few coats of Tung Oil. They look pretty good to me and I like the way they sound. Had to make a new grill for one of the speakers out of 1/4 Masonite. Covered with cheap black cloth. All in all, not a bad speaker for $7 + about $25 in parts, plus time.

Attachments

• IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 276
I just picked up a pair of KLH Thirty-Three's today for 10 bucks off of Craigslist.

I will report back once I hook them up and check them out.

They are in pretty good shape overall. It's amazing how much they outwardly look like the Acoustic Research AR2-ax speakers I have.

Never heard 33's, but if my 23's are similar enough to go by, you should be hearing some very sweet :music: ! And for the price you paid, I'd say you can claim a real sonic bang-for-buck score! Congratulations! :thmbsp:

My first experience with Thirty Three's was when I hooked them up to my newly aquired Yamaha CR-800. It brought tears to my eyes. :tears:
Then I thought "What have I been missing all these years?".

Back
Top Bottom