KLH Model Twenty Plus

Mark Davis

Can anyone tell me about these speakers?

Are they worth buying?

What would be a reasonable starting point to pay?

Do they hold or have value?

It's basically a 4Ω version of the KLH Seventeen. The 20 plus was actually a complete system, not just the speakers:

89521d6a433009c56864ae731e925fdf.jpg

Prices regarding value belong in the Dollars & Sense subforum.

So the speakers are part of a system with the system or TT missing. They are being sold as speakers.

Are the speakers any good?

The speakers are better than good. They have a pleasant and clean sound and are typical of those produced in the 60s and 70s around the east coast. I have a pair of Seventeens in use almost daily and had Twenties until about year ago. Both pairs we're recapped, woofers were resealed with the correct mixture. They sounded identical. Only differences are the 4 ohm woofers in the Twenty and jacks in the back instead of the standard screw connectors. I believe the cabinets were identical.

They are the electrically identical to the Model Twenty but the cabinets are deeper. They were meant to go on tulip style stands along with the Model Twenty Plus phono system (basically just the Model Twenty phono system in a different cabinet). They might have holes in the side where the tulip style stands screwed into the cabinet. Should be great sounding speakers though.

Clearly, the Twenty Plus speakers have much deeper cabinets, and the wiring terminals are located on the bottom rather than the rear. Same drivers, I believe, but am not sure if interior cabinet volume is same or different - - I could imagine a false section in the back portion of the Twenty Plus to maintain identical volume.

This link provides some additional information on the Model Twenty and Model Twenty Plus.
http://www.antiqueradio.com/Mar06_Hayden_Kloss.html

I sure don't remembey twenties being deeper cabinets than the Seventeens. We're there two models? It does appear that they're deeper in the photo.

The Model Twenty and the Model Seventeen use identical cabinets, the only difference is is the woofer in the Seventeen is an 8 ohm driver and the connection point on the back uses terminals instead of an RCA jack (also the Seventeen comes with KLH badges whereas the Twenty does not).

The Model Twenty Plus cabinet is deeper than the Model Twenty and Model Seventeen cabinet. As for whether or not it’s a false panel I dunno, never had a pair of the Plus versions apart. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was just a false back to match the console cabinet depth though since larger cabinet volume would certainly change the frequency response.

I'm not normally the guy that says everything needs a re-cap, but the red and black caps in these do need to be replaced. Makes a big difference. IIRC they are dual 2uF?

Back
Top Bottom