Klipsch Chorus: Gutless?

hellhound94

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Is it just me or is the Klipsch Chorus about as gutless a speaker as there is? By gutless, I of course mean "NO BASS!" I've had mine (purchased new by me) since the late '80s and they just don't get it for me anymore and will soon be put up for sale. Just wondering if anyone else has suffered this disappoinment.

That's not my experience.

I find the low end to be well defined - better than most speakers.

I've hooked up my Chorus to a SI Super T Amp ($140) that produces a very clean 15 watts per. It makes the Chorus sing - in particular an accoustic bass line on a jazz song, very defined, accurate, and just sounds great.

The low end is not "big", but well balanced, IMHO.

Good luck. Snade

Nope. Are your two speakers in phase? Are the woofers themselves all wired correctly? Stranger things have happened...

I have the Chorus' lil brother...the Quartet and I get PLENTY of bass from them...that's with a 10" woofer and a 12" Passive Radiator...
Bill

I have a pair of 88 Chorus',I think they're a well balanced speaker.If its in the recording then I'm hearing it.Something that really seemed to help my system (especially the bass ) were some I/Cs that I upgraded....

Huh?

......and after almost 20 years of use, you now feel disappointed? What took you so long? Maybe you just got "more deafer"? I think calling the Chorus gutless is a flippant remark, especially after they conned you into listening to them for so long!

Do you have any recommendations for replacements with "GUTS"?

Did you change your reciever or amp.

I found with my lascalas when i got them that they really had no base with a newer harmon kardon reciever from 2001 then i got my old pioneer sx-8800 up and running and the base clarity and overall sound improved drasticly. also room placement and some better speaker wire to help with everything.

I still needed a sub to make me happy with them but thats because the la scallas are notorious for bad bass. but the chorus from what i hear do not have that issue. also did you rescently here a different setup with say a sub will change the way you hear. but who knows.

What about placement???...I find my Quarts are placement sensitive...but I think the original Chorii don't have passives...
Bill

Dale A B said:
......and after almost 20 years of use, you now feel disappointed? What took you so long? Maybe you just got "more deafer"? I think calling the Chorus gutless is a flippant remark, especially after they conned you into listening to them for so long!

Do you have any recommendations for replacements with "GUTS"?

Well you may be onto something Dale. Maybe my hearing has changed. Or maybe my taste has changed. But the fact remains that my Chorus don't sound like I "wish" they sounded. In answer to some of the questions raised: yes, they are in phase. Yes, I have changed equipment many, many times. No, I haven't changed position because of the room layout etc.

Awhile back I picked up a set of KG-4 and I immediately liked them more than the Chorus because they seemed to be "bassier." Most of the music I listen to is electric blues, or blues rock. And everything seems to sound more like I want it to sound when I use the KG-4.

At any rate, after all of these years, the Chorus are bigger speakers than I want and I plan to part with them in the near future.

I appreciate everyone's input very much. Lots of good advice and food for thought.

hellhound94 said:
At any rate, after all of these years, the Chorus are bigger speakers than I want and I plan to part with them in the near future.

I appreciate everyone's input very much. Lots of good advice and food for thought.

I can understand your views. Truth be told, I have not always loved my Chorus with different amps and setups. Because they are so big and heavy, I think there is an expectation they produce a big low-end and in certain setups you don't hear that.

Best of luck selling them, I have seen recent ones on Ebay go for $450 to $600. Finding someone that can do local pick-up is key, if possible. Mine were shipped to my house and despite pretty good packing, one corner of the base was damaged - not hard to believe when a delivery guy tries to move a 90 pound upright box

Cheers, Snade.

No doubt about it, Snade, it will have to be local pickup only. Just about every speaker I've had shipped to me has been damaged...and it's usually a corner. I cringe to think of what would happen to either or both of these monsters.

I've had a similar experience....
At first my Chorus II rocked the foundation of my old house, but after going to a Yamaha HT receiver they lost their kick. So I bought a B&K amp and inserted it for the Main speakers (pre-out) primarily to get the 2 channel depth (bass kick) back. I still think they've lost something but it could be me or the listening environment (I've moved and the room is bigger).

Is there anything that could be looked at with these speakers? Maybe something was damaged in the electronics? They don't sound bad, I just don't think they sound as good as they did originally and I've heard other people on this board make similar comments.

Thanks!

For me it's been the opposite. Mine seemed to sound better in a bigger room with a vaulted ceiling. But it might be that I just played them louder to compensate for the room size.

Also, going back to Dale A B's comments, when I originally bought the Chorus, they were placed in corners which is the recommended placement. They also were in corners in my next house after that, and the house after that, and then the condo with the vaulted ceiling. Now they are not in corners. So placement, as well as the room size and configuration, could be the problem.

But the fact remains, they are too big for my lifestyle and I will be selling them so it's all a moot point.

So the Chorus aren't really gutless, after all? You just put them in a place you knew wasn't recommended, didn't like what you heard, (and perhaps even figured out the reason where you put them wasn't recommended), and now you want to get rid of them. Is that pretty much what you're saying?

No, although you're right about the placement, I'm not getting rid of them for that reason...only because they're just plain too big for the house I'm in and also because I'm in a downsizing mode.

I agree with you though on the placement. Unfortunately, and believe me I've looked from every angle, I'm stuck keeping them where they are unless I move.

The original Chorus had a freq resp on 45hz - 20khz, +/- 3. The Cornwall was 38 - 20. The Chorus 2, had a revised spec of 39 - 20. More bass, but still, not very deep for a big box. Altho i do not have either model, I have a similar issue with the Epic CF-4, the largest of that line from the mid 90's. Because of the high efficiency, at low volumes there is not much bottom end, unless it is in the recording, or if you can crank on the volume.

It almost makes more sense these days, to go with smaller mains and use a subwoofer, instead of taking up all that real estate with the big boxes. I'm lucky in that I have a separate room for big boxes because they would be way too large in any other room in our digs.

NP - Raging Slab - Dynamite Monster Boogie Concert

This doesn't sound right to me. Granted, I have Chorus II's but recently tested them out floating in the middle of a huge room. The bass smoked my KG4s which were properly placed. To me, this just doesn't make sense and if I experienced your situation, I'd jump to the thinking that something is amiss.

Dale A B said:
The original Chorus had a freq resp on 45hz - 20khz, +/- 3. The Cornwall was 38 - 20. The Chorus 2, had a revised spec of 39 - 20. More bass, but still, not very deep for a big box...

I think you would be extremely hard pressed to actually hear the difference between 39 and 45Hz, let alone 38 and 39...the specs are rather meaningless when compared to the raw frequency response plots.

The cornwall is perceived as having more bass because it has huge peaks in the 80Hz region (around 5dB). The Chorus II's have an extremely flat response - which to many people sounds like the bass is lacking. After having the two side by side it becomes very apparent as the cornwall projects more of its own sound onto the music. Whether or not this is more enjoyable is a completely different and subjective topic...but it forces one to consider the goals of one's system.

I had a pair of Forte's, liked them. I got a pair of Chorus', sold the Forte's. Had the Chorus' a couple months and was disappointed. Sold them and bought another pair of Forte's. I prefer them.

Back
Top Bottom