Klipsch cornwall differences between editions?

jdwk

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Are the new ones head and shoulders abouve the older ones? I know these speakers have somewhat of a cult around them, are they a higher quality than KG4's? of the 5.2? opinions please, whats a cheap price for cornwalls? whats too high? (for vintage ones?) good match with Mc 2205 amp?

I would think the new ones are certainly upgraded in sound over the I's and II's however, (not having heard all three versions) I'd have a difficult time expecting them to be 'head & shoulders' better. I say that because you essentially still have the same box, same horns, same drivers, just the configuration of the woofer is different in the III's. At least, this is my understanding of "the" difference although I'm sure there's refinements in the crossovers.

Still... I'd contend to get a head & shoulders improvement over an in spec CW I verses an in spec CW II verses an in spec CW III, you'd be better served to move up the food chain.

Improvements yes, head & shoulders? I don't know. That's my 4 centavos.

If you are handy I think you can get an older pair for around $400-$600 and upgrade them to get in to exceed the new version quality levels. Old stock sounds pretty good but adding wood mid horns and new crossover upgrades are a whole new world.

Last edited:
One difference with the CW III is they've moved the location of the woofer. I think this helps eliminate or reduce some resonating issues somewhere?

If my understanding is correct, that's something that an older model might not be able to deal with, without reconstructing it with a new motorboard.

If you can see a naked front of a CW III you will see the woofer is pretty much in the middle of the cabinet now. That was intentional.

so how many different versions of these have there been and how can you tell the very first ones from the others? I looked at the Klipsch website and the new ones are only rated at 100W continuous, I have an MC2205 are Cornwalls not enough speaker for this amp? or are the older ones different wattages? since the whole world seems to be 5 speaker HT driven these days.

Last edited:
Regarding "Cornwalls not enough speaker for this amp"... I'm not too familar with that amp however, I'd feel pretty comfortable stating that the Cornwalls should be just FINE with that amp.

Look at it this way, putting 100 watts continuous into them would probably destry your hearing.

I don't know their sensativity but...have you ever heard higher sensative amps? (if so, pardon my next comment)

It's like saying "I drive a Honda that gets 40 miles per gallon" and the next guy says "I drive an older Chevelle (SS 396) and I get 8 miles per gallon"

Well... if you have 1 gallon to put into the vehicle (amp watts) then the Honda (more efficient speaker) is going to give you more output per input.

You will probably only use but a couple of watts with the Cornwalls however, the nice thing is, you will have more power at the ready for those times you DO happen to lean into the volume.

I think there have now been three versions of the Cornwalls. The original, the II's which were then discontinued for a couple years and now, the III's which are current production.

Regarding 5 speakers.... are you doing 2-channel or a HT system? There is one guy on the Klipsch forum who is using a 7 channel system with LaScalas. I'm sure there are others who are using a mix of Khorn, LaScalas, Belles and Cornwalls as well.

Have you heard these?

I have heard only Choruses, I am just doing two channel. Cornwalls have such a rep and a pair were local to me, so I thought Id give it a try I have not heard LaScalas, Id like to though Especially after I saw what they look like. I think based on what I found, these corwalls are from 1976. the backs screw off. they are light colored wood. and they are pretty darn big. I was going to replace my SM 152's (infinity) with these.

Love my 1976 Cornwalls which I upgraded with new crossovers from Mr. Crites and will probably go further with his tweeters next. Refinished the boxes and put new cloth on the grills.

I have no doubt I will be moving up the food chain at some point again but won't let these go.

You can push them with ANYTHING. Listen first but you will take them home. I paid $400 but they needed some work.

Had Forte II's prior and haven't been able to give them up and are a part of another system.

I just fired up my LaScalas which are buried downstairs in a wall (cutout for flush positioning) Those things can really get it on!

I have both, and the MC 2205 and CW's are an amazing combo! I have tried nearly a dozen different amps from tube to SS and the CW's sound the best to me with the 2205.

The 2205 usually idles around 1-2 watts at normal listening levels, but you have so much more power to make them scream. At 20 watts on the meters the CW's feel like front row at a concert, no joke! And the amp is barely being pushed

What kind of preamp are/will you be using with the 2205?

right now I have a c28, I dessire a c33 (might get a c32 to save money) what pre amp are you running with your 2205?

I have 1984 Conwall I's, if the II's or the III's sound any better you will be amazed. I love my cornwalls!:music: Pushing with my AD B200 sound is unbelievable!:thmbsp:

I have some 1980 Cornwalls (I's) that I'm very happy with. A good friend has a pair that he drives with a 2105 & says "This is the one pair of speakers I'll never sell. I'll die with these". He's also got a slew of more powerful Mac gear he sometimes uses - all with the Cornwalls.
The changes in model have been relatively minor - changing the woofer mounting from the inside to mounting from the front (at which point the screw-on backs disapeared) and some crossover changes, mainly.

right now I have a c28, I dessire a c33 (might get a c32 to save money) what pre amp are you running with your 2205?

Right now I'm using a Counterpoint 3.1 as the pre and really enjoy the combo. I would love to try one of of C3x series for comparison though.

I am familiar with the 1&2 version and if the 3 is "better" then Klipsch certainly has burned the midnight coffee getting the new one ready!
Remember how little power these babies take to fill a room ,BUT it has to be quality power!
If its a crap amp the sound will sound just like crap when it comes out of the speaker
Glorious gear like tubes - can really show off these systems.

Last edited:
Having listened to all three versions, I have to admit the III is clearly better sounding, while I still prefer the I to the II (for reasons unknown).

New Cornwalls (To me)

Just picked up a set of Cornwall IIs. Hooked them up to my Marantz 1060 (30 Watts Per) to test them out. I'm astounded by the sound.
I'll hook them up to my bigger marantz amps in the next few but for right now 30 watts is more juice than I need.
Beautiful sound. Different than my Fortes. Will follow up in a few days.

Crite’s modified Fortes, 1060 Marantz, Marantz 140 amp, Marantz 240 amp, Marantz 250 amp, Marantz 3200, Marantz 3300, Marantz 115B Tuner, Marantz 105 Tuner. A Gaggle of Carver receivers, Ohm 2's, Dahlquist 9's, Denon Cd, Technics SL-Q2 and an AR-XA. A Grant Fidelity Tube processor.

"Good Music, Single Malt and Old Motorcycles"

If you are handy I think you can get an older pair for around $400-$600 and upgrade them to get in to exceed the new version quality levels. Old stock sounds pretty good but adding wood mid horns and new crossover upgrades are a whole new world.

After market recommendations for either of those?
I'm finally going to at the very least upgrade to Crites Ti tweeters and re-cap the crossovers. My Cornie II's will get the extra $TLC$ first!

Are the new ones head and shoulders abouve the older ones? I know these speakers have somewhat of a cult around them, are they a higher quality than KG4's? of the 5.2? opinions please, whats a cheap price for cornwalls? whats too high? (for vintage ones?) good match with Mc 2205 amp?

I owned a pair of Cornwall III's a couple of years ago. They were one of the finest sounding loudspeakers I had ever owned. I never owned Cornwall I's or II's, but have heard both on numerous occasions at a friends house.

I will not sit here and proclaim that the III's are (were) head and sholders above the earlier Cornwall's, but they did offer a level of refinement that the other two did not share. Still, any model Cornwall is a worthwile investment; especially for one who is seeking unrestrained dynamics, truth of timber, and sheer musical enjoyment. Percussion with the Cornwall's is out of this world, and is what had always attracted me to them.

I'd say a nice, unmolested, pair of Cornwall I's or II's should cost from between $500.00 on the lower end, to $800.00 on the higher end. Mint pairs could set you back as high as $1000.00.

Cornwall III's are relatively new, so the prices are going to be in the $2K range.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that I drove my Cornwall III's with a pair of Quicksilver Audio Horn Mono's and Quicksilver Audio line preamp, both of which were a perfect match for the Cornwall's high sensitivity. With no signal and the volume turned all the way up, the amps were dead quiet at the mids/tweets. Happy hunting!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom