Klipsch cornwall differences between editions?

I'm amazed at how few watts it takes to make them loud. I have a 100 watt amp and at 20 watts it's too loud. I like the fact that the bass resonates through the house, through my chest. Put on side 2 of Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing. Tom's Diner: You can hear her wet her lips, her breaths between lyrics, so clearly. When the next song Luka starts it is awesome, so clear, what a great album. It sounds so good through these speakers. Amazing!

I have a pair of 1980 Cornwalls. I rebuilt the crossovers and tweets with parts from Bob Crites. They are amazing speakers for sure. Driven with 3 watts from a little 6B4 SE amp they can produce some amazing sound. Driven with 30+ watts from a Fisher 7591 amp will make you think you are sitting in a concert. I haven't even thought about getting any other speaker since buying the Cornwalls. I paid $500 for mine and paid around $125 for upgrades.

so how many different versions of these have there been and how can you tell the very first ones from the others? I looked at the Klipsch website and the new ones are only rated at 100W continuous, I have an MC2205 are Cornwalls not enough speaker for this amp? or are the older ones different wattages? since the whole world seems to be 5 speaker HT driven these days.

The Cornwall III,s are rated at at 102 dBm. I've read that thirty watts will pretty much destroy your hearing, and subwoofers are a waste. I know that I will love mine, still in the box though they may be. Foolishly, after completing my A/V theater (and loving the Klipsch sound), I ordered them online, with a typo regarding the dimensions. Sooo, instead of being three feet deep, they are three feet WIDE! My bad, but a great excuse to build an audio setup. Man, I wish I had found this great blog sooner, but something tells me my fundamental buying mistake will turn out to be really fun

The Cornwall III,s are rated at at 102 dBm. I've read that thirty watts will pretty much destroy your hearing, and subwoofers are a waste. I know that I will love mine, still in the box though they may be. Foolishly, after completing my A/V theater (and loving the Klipsch sound), I ordered them online, with a typo regarding the dimensions. Sooo, instead of being three feet deep, they are three feet WIDE! My bad, but a great excuse to build an audio setup. Man, I wish I had found this great blog sooner, but something tells me my fundamental buying mistake will turn out to be really fun
best mistake ever !

I have always preferred the CW 1 with the T-35 tweeter. It has a slight roll off in the highs which I liked. The later versions with up dated tweeters and with stepper crossover rates I have issues with. First of all the way the crossover was tuned and the qualities of the ceramic magnet tweeter caused a 4 to 7 db narrow peak around 6.3 kHz which irritated me. True the speaker was capable of handling much more power. Later on the MK II the crossover was redesigned and the issue resolved. The new tweeter though didn't have the roll off however. I knew there tone controls on a pre-amp for a reason. I had the same issues with Hersey, Chorus and Forte from that period also. I haven't heard the new Cornwall III or Forte, but I'm not optimistic. I guess tone controls are hear to stay.

Don't worry Kilpsch does a better job than most out there. At least they have a history of knowing what is natural sounding and what is not. A lot of speaker builders only want their speakers to be the most revealing and not the most natural sounding. The sound you would hear at a live unamplified concert or recital is what I am after. Not something that is recorded and presented to impress.

Dig out an old Command records big band recording. Gimmicks aside. Notice how the trumpets stand out but they don't have the edge in the sound other labels have. The sound is clear and clean, but enjoyable. Why? because Enoch used mics that rendered the instrument properly. I have heard that sound before. Can you believe from a RCA 77 ribbon. And when he did choose to use condenser mics that have that tell tale peak around 12 kHz it was with instruments that needed the emphasis, but in moderation.

Your Klipsch speakers have the ability to reveal these issues where point source speakers mask the sound so you can only tell there is an issue. Klipsch speakers allow you to define the issue with out being austere and overly analytical.

Last edited:
Lets see Cornwall woofers have basically remained the same over the years with some small & major changes. Cone material, adhesives and the way the magnet structure have changed along with the coil and coil former make new Cornwalls totally new. . All this means woofers that were once rated at 30 watts easily can handle over 100. Mid drivers have changed too with improved magnets, cone materials etc etc. The tweeters have seen the biggest changes going from the EV T-35 to an in house unit with better magnets, diaphragms and horn. Of course every time you change a driver your crossover needs to be tweaked. Adding SS components to protect delicate diaphragms and crossover slopes have really increased the ability of the Cornwall. The Horns have changed, too. I don't know if the woofers have been upgraded to reduce distortions by over a magnitude similar to what Mcintosh developed and others such as Magico and JBL are now implementing, if not, maybe in the future.

Last edited:
I have always preferred the CW 1 with the T-35 tweeter. It has a slight roll off in the highs which I liked. The later versions with up dated tweeters and with stepper crossover rates I have issues with. First of all the way the crossover was tuned and the qualities of the ceramic magnet tweeter caused a 4 to 7 db narrow peak around 6.3 kHz which irritated me. True the speaker was capable of handling much more power. Later on the MK II the crossover was redesigned and the issue resolved. The new tweeter though didn't have the roll off however. I knew there tone controls on a pre-amp for a reason. I had the same issues with Hersey, Chorus and Forte from that period also. I haven't heard the new Cornwall III or Forte, but I'm not optimistic. I guess tone controls are hear to stay.

Don't worry Kilpsch does a better job than most out there. At least they have a history of knowing what is natural sounding and what is not. A lot of speaker builders only want their speakers to be the most revealing and not the most natural sounding. The sound you would hear at a live unamplified concert or recital is what I am after. Not something that is recorded and presented to impress.

Dig out an old Command records big band recording. Gimmicks aside. Notice how the trumpets stand out but they don't have the edge in the sound other labels have. The sound is clear and clean, but enjoyable. Why? because Enoch used mics that rendered the instrument properly. I have heard that sound before. Can you believe from a RCA 77 ribbon. And when he did choose to use condenser mics that have that tell tale peak around 12 kHz it was with instruments that needed the emphasis, but in moderation.

Your Klipsch speakers have the ability to reveal these issues where point source speakers mask the sound so you can only tell there is an issue. Klipsch speakers allow you to define the issue with out being austere and overly analytical.

I have to say that discussing sound recordings, speakers, etc as well as putting the mental process of listening into words with you, and others on this site is quite a remarkable experience, and I wish to thank you, and all the others who take the time to explain the "listening experience" in such depth. I imagine that it would be like talking about hitting with Ted Williams, or hitting the track with Pete Rose I've spent the past forty years really liking the sound of a good setup, but only in the last few months did I actually slowed myself down and do some homework, both going to higher end stores, and reading from,IMHO, the best source, blogs that feature enthusiasts, and "cultured ears". This weekend, the Cornwalls will finally get taken out of their boxes, I just got a loaner McIntosh MC152 (until my backordered MC275s come in), which will be paired with the McIntosh C2500 preamp. Needless to say, I'm pretty, ahem, amped upped right now! I'll post up as the sound unfolds. THANKS FOR THE INSIGHTS!

Lets see Cornwall woofers have basically remained the same over the years with some small & major changes. Cone material, adhesives and the way the magnet structure have changed along with the coil and coil former make new Cornwalls totally new. . All this means woofers that were once rated at 30 watts easily can handle over 100. Mid drivers have changed too with improved magnets, cone materials etc etc. The tweeters have seen the biggest changes going from the EV T-35 to an in house unit with better magnets, diaphragms and horn. Of course every time you change a driver your crossover needs to be tweaked. Adding SS components to protect delicate diaphragms and crossover slopes have really increased the ability of the Cornwall. The Horns have changed, too. I don't know if the woofers have been upgraded to reduce distortions by over a magnitude similar to what Mcintosh developed and others such as Magico and JBL are now implementing, if not, maybe in the future.

So I should start putting hearing aid money in the cookie jar?! Now I'm going to spring out of bed tomorrow and start moving books, furniture, and equipment! Ooops, I'd better have speaker wire on hand

I have owned quite a few Klipsch speakers and presently own a pair of 1977 khorns and a pair of 2015 Cornwall iii's. Love both and wouldn't want to have to make a choice between them. The khorns are the go to speaker if you really wanna tear down the house, nothing quite like them for raw power and presence. That being said the Cornwalls are better for more intimate listening and are much more forgiving and flexible about placement.
The clarity and depth of the sound is amazing and sound that way from a low volume whisper to as much volume as you can stand! As for differences between the older vs newer models, better materials in the newer models (titanium tweets), high density mdf construction in the speaker boxes, moved the 15" driver closer to the middle of the motor board for better bass control, smaller mid-range horn and bumped up the low to mid crossover point a tad. I think they just refined and smoothed without losing that distinctive Klipsch sound.

Last edited:
I think the true testament of a great speaker is when so many different amps are called a "perfect match" for them.

My Marantz 8b and my Cornwalls will be wed for as long as I'm alive!

I have owned quite a few Klipsch speakers and presently own a pair of 1977 khorns and a pair of 2015 Cornwall iii's. Love both and wouldn't want to have to make a choice between them. The khorns are the go to speaker if you really wanna tear down the house, nothing quite like them for raw power and presence. That being said the Cornwalls are better for more intimate listening and are much more forgiving and flexible about placement.
The clarity and depth of the sound is amazing and sound that way from a low volume whisper to as much volume as you can stand! As for differences between the older vs newer models, better materials in the newer models (titanium tweets), high density mdf construction in the speaker boxes, moved the 15" driver closer to the middle of the motor board for better bass control, smaller mid-range horn and bumped up the low to mid crossover point a tad. I think they just refined and smoothed without losing that distinctive Klipsch sound.

Any advice concerning wall placement? The room where they are going has a fireplace, so that there will be a separation (on the back "line") of brick between them. Should I pull them forward, both on either side of the fireplace, or just let 'er rip? And do you think that angling makes any difference? Man, the stress of becoming an "audiophile" (I'm sure that the moniker will take a few years, at least, to be "earned")! :whip:PS, thanks for the "weigh in" regarding the 'Walls, naturally there's someone "out there" that says that Klipsch speakers are for the "frequency impaired". :beerchug:

I think the true testament of a great speaker is when so many different amps are called a "perfect match" for them.

My Marantz 8b and my Cornwalls will be wed for as long as I'm alive!

As I wrote below, thanks for the endorsement regarding the speakers. At that price-point a person can start to become a bit "neurotic" regarding choices. Or am I neurotic for paying to join the Club? :idea:

Any advice concerning wall placement? The room where they are going has a fireplace, so that there will be a separation (on the back "line") of brick between them. Should I pull them forward, both on either side of the fireplace, or just let 'er rip? And do you think that angling makes any difference? Man, the stress of becoming an "audiophile" (I'm sure that the moniker will take a few years, at least, to be "earned")! :whip:PS, thanks for the "weigh in" regarding the 'Walls, naturally there's someone "out there" that says that Klipsch speakers are for the "frequency impaired". :beerchug:

As the name says corn(er)wall. Cornwalls are happiest back against the wall and close to or in the corner, toed in so the horns center close to your main listening spot. They are quite forgiving though and have a wide sweet spot. Don't worry about being an audiophile, enjoy the music, audiophile means different things to different people...and not all of them good. As to the "frequency impaired" thing, some folks don't like realism in their music reproduction.:bigok:

As I wrote below, thanks for the endorsement regarding the speakers. At that price-point a person can start to become a bit "neurotic" regarding choices. Or am I neurotic for paying to join the Club? :idea:

As long as you are not passing by starving children on the street, then I think Cornwalls are a great way to spend some money. As far as neurosis, well, you and I are writing on an online forum about a speaker... welcome to "neurosis are us".

As long as you are not passing by starving children on the street, then I think Cornwalls are a great way to spend some money. As far as neurosis, well, you and I are writing on an online forum about a speaker... welcome to "neurosis are us".
LMAO! I'm afraid that the "sickness" will have me plugging my equipment up under overpasses (using a small "clean current" generator") next to my cardboard home. I wonder what would be the best way to take advantage of the concrete and open-air, acoustically? :rflmao::rflmao:

Last edited:
As the name says corn(er)wall. Cornwalls are happiest back against the wall and close to or in the corner, toed in so the horns center close to your main listening spot. They are quite forgiving though and have a wide sweet spot. Don't worry about being an audiophile, enjoy the music, audiophile means different things to different people...and not all of them good. As to the "frequency impaired" thing, some folks don't like realism in their music reproduction.:bigok:

LMAO! Good one! I was speaking with tongue "a bit" in cheek, although not entirely. I thought that I had four decades of "HI-FI", until I wandered into a McIntosh dealer. Then I turned into Jethro Bodine. And thanks for the advice, I "kinda" thought that was "The Way", but I was wondering about wall proximity in the back. :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom