Klipsch Heresey help

For most speakers the design attempt was to approach flat response without boundary reinforcement, and they may be rather boomy in a corner on the floor.
Paul Klipsch's design approach for the Heresy was to use the corner floor reinforcement and voice the speaker with an innate very clear and clean but subdued low end, so that the combined response is a natural and very clean response.
Part of the benefit is that more low bass is produced with less power from the amp and less cone excursion of the speaker, both of those things allowing higher levels of cleaner music.

PWK simply wanted a speaker that was small enough to fit under a standard windowsill and that would add centre fill to a wide spread set of Khorns. The Heresy was simple, it is the largest cabinet which will fit a 12" driver which you can build two of from a single 4x8 sheet of material. The result was a speaker that did not make much bass unless you used boundary reinforcement. Placing speakers on the floor is not ever much of a plan but it got the job done and that was what mattered. This was not some grand design. PWK was simply a very practical man. Horns being directional let you get away with wall or corner placement without messing up their band like you would with cones or domes. Having sound shoot up at you or down at you will never sound realistic ever. My H3 on 21inch stands (the speakers are very modified) make plenty of bass and they stage and image very well.
If ever any of you wondered about the Cornwall and why it is the size that it is well that is just as easy to explain. The Cornwall cabinet is the single largest cabinet that you can build for a fifteen inch woofer that you can build from a single sheet of 4x8 material (so two sheets for a pair).

I removed off the shelf where the turntable is but I still have on the stands. I will remove and put on the floor tonight. Some people have posted to get the tweeters at ear level, But I originally heard that they were supposed to be on the ground.

I removed off the shelf where the turntable is but I still have on the stands. I will remove and put on the floor tonight. Some people have posted to get the tweeters at ear level, But I originally heard that they were supposed to be on the ground.
what really matters is the mid horn not the tweeter. If all you cared about was harmonics then the tweeter would be your horn of interest as it only reproduces from 6KHz and up. You want to center the mid horn at your seated ear level which most often is between 38 and 41 inches up off the floor depending on your seating and your height. If you find your stock speaker is a little shy on bass place it closer to the front wall and or into the front corners to obtain extra boundary reinforcement. That should take care of any bass roll off you might suffer from lifting the speakers up off the floor. You want the speakers firing directly at you parallel to the floor so remove the risers so that you don't end up with the speakers tilted up firing over your head at your listening location.

What's important is that you are doing the right thing - experimenting with placement, position, angle, etc. to find how you like them best in your particular room space.

Yook off the stands. Now I can crank it with no feedback rumble. Sounds so much better. Will still hsve caps replaced soon though...

Attachments

• IMG_7133.JPG
    IMG_7133.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 33
I placed my Herseys in corners up against the ceiling angled toward the bed in the master bed room and they did great to just below 50 HZ. There was a small swell of about 4 db around 150 hz as I remember. But it wasn't that serious. If I still had the speakers I would probably install a small Mac MQ 104 to correct the issue. They sounded great being pushed with a MC2505 driven by a C-34 and the graphic controls worked well enough to negate the issue. I now use Boston Built in speakers. Having Herseys over the entry and near a closet didn't make my better half feel safe.

Any heresy I've owned always sounded better to me in the corners on the floor tilted back and toed in . Better bass response also .

Back
Top Bottom