Klipsch KG2.5

rabbit_39

Hi,

I've been trying to find more info about this Klipsch to no avail. What's it like? I'm going to be using vintage amps to drive it with like a Sansui AU4900 and a Marantz 1070.

I can get the pair for about $100, is it a good value for that money? I already have a set of Usher S520, how does it compare?

Thanks!

If the speakers are in great shape it's a nice performer for it's size....I own a pair and they sound good as bookshelf speakers......$100 is a fair price.......

It is nice for the size, but I'd try to find some KG 4 or higher models in this family. Better yet, see if you can find some Forte II, or Chorus II if you have the space or Heritage line. Then you'd have what is the essence of the Klipsch sound and ways.

Thanks guys, I might be getting a set of BIC V52 as well for an additional $50.

I had thought that these aren't too popular for a reason. I guess I'm just looking to see whether these are worth $100 or not. ie will they sound like other "good" $100 or more speakers.

Where I'm at now (Indonesia), I don't quite have the choices that I used to in Oregon. So one take what is around ;)

Got the speakers, good condition, just lots of cobwebs. Pretty light construction, thin wall MDF, with pretty good plugs in the back. Plugged it in and used with a Marantz 1070 that always sounded too bright to me.

Nothing special on these speakers, it was worth the $90 I finally got it for. The bass is quite full bodied but a little echoey but not quite boomy. It just has that extra...something (not necessarily good). The mids are clear if not exactly revealing or detailed. While the highs are quite nice, again it's not overly detailed. On a whole, it's more smooth rather than detailed. If the bass was not echoey it might be a nice set to listen to while doing something else. Definitely not for critical listening.

It is currently on the floor, with the back being open to the center of the room. Weird, I know but that's how I have it set up since my desk is facing the room and my back is against the wall. So the speakers are currently in the middle of the room facing me.

Will try it with a Sansui 555a and AU4900 next. Let's see if either will be a better fit. If nothing else, that's why we all have multiple amps and speakers right? :D

Picked up a pair recently and hooked them up to demo them.
Have them hooked up to my Pioneer SX-1250.
W/loudness on and adjustment of bass/treble I think they sound pretty good for their size. (I have them up High) I bet they would sound better w some Crites mods, but not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on them.

They are headed to my son's TV room along w the SX-850 after I have it re-capped.
Also have a pair of KG .5's I'll put in the back of the room for him. He can watch some movies and play X-box with a little better sound.....

I too picked up a pair recently, for $55. They sound great in the Brewery, and I think one would make a decent center turned on it's side. Like a stepped down klf-C7. I do think they could use better crossovers, but not worth the investment.

My experience

I have a pair in my home office. I don't remember exactly what I paid for them (around $100). The space is fairly small and I have 3 receivers and 4 pairs of speakers in the room. My speaker placement stinks. After playing around with combinations I have the Klipsch paired with a Sansui AU-5500. There seems to be a nice synergy there. The speakers didn't sound nearly as good with the Pioneer SX780 or the modern Onkyo receiver. I REALLY like them with the Sansui. (But the Pioneer sounds really nice with some ADS L620s)

I inherited a pair from my uncle. They sound a little harsh to me. They have lots of bass, especially for their size, and it doesn't sound boomy or bad. But it is a bit exaggerated. Very much rock or party speakers. They're not efficient, and they don't like power. I burned up a pair of woofers pretty bad driving them with my Phase Linear 700, just trying to get a decent listening volume in a large room. Even a pair of AT-8 Cerwin Vegas can go louder, because they're far more efficient. So... kind of a pass. They sound better than the AT-8, have more bass than the AT-8, are good for rock music, like the AT-8... but fail for volume and power handling. Probably okay for a small room, but for a living room they're inadequate. I tried to use them as rear channels paired with Cerwin Vega VS-150 mains, but they were too under-powered to keep up with the Vegas, and I was at risk of blowing them out again. I replaced them with, of all things, Pioneer CS-922A "kabuki" speakers. Those work well for my rear channels and can handle a ton of power at retarded listening levels. And the Pioneers sound less harsh to boot.

I will say the KG2.5s do sound better paired with a tube amp, or a vintage receiver, but they're still not great. Pretty much everything else I own, except for the Minimus-7 and Optimus-77s I have laying round, sound better.

Charles.

Back
Top Bottom