Klipsch KG4 vs KG4.5 vs KG4.2

travellersol

I have just bought a pair of KG4 used, probably 30 years old. Everything is ok, but one of the woofers has a slight hiss which will stop when you tap a finger lightly on the cone, but will return after lifting off. the seller said it might need to be recoiled. I like the sound, the horn is not harsh at all, and the bass is low, especially at night listening at very low volume, the bass can still be felt.

I have a question: I also see some old KG4.5 and 4.2 on sale, and looking at their photos, I noticed that these have narrower profiles, whereas the KG4 is much wider, will this make them sound very different? I presume 4.5 and 4.2 are newer products, will they be worth replacements for the 4s? I especially wish to play classical music in big scale (like orchestra pieces) with huge dynamic contrasts, which of these speakers is best?

In general, would appreciate some good comparisons among these models.

I had KG4s and KG4.2s. Both very capable, very clean, tight, and deep. I never directly A/B'd them back to back so it's hard to point at specific differences. That said, it does sound like a simple woofer replacement would mend your KG4s. You won't lose either way.

thanks for the replies Wayner and Johnny. I will keep the 4s and will fix it. I like what I heard these few days, with better placement I believe it will sound even better.

Inspect your woofer surround closely and see if anything is coming loose. Also possible the cone has sagged and the voice coil is starting to rub on the magnet. Try flipping the whole speaker upside down and see if it still does it. If not, you can unscrew the woofer and flip it 180 degrees and let it sag back for a few years.

I would recommend some new crossover caps at this point and if you really want an amazing experience, invest a few bucks in some Bob Crites titanium horn diaphragms. You won't be sorry.

I have 4.2's BTW, since new in '91. Never had the 4's but love the 4.2.

thanks, i will try that later.

would still like to the comparison of KG4 vs KG4.5 vs KG4.2. Those who have heard them your input would be very appreciated.

I hope there are some AKers who have heard more than one of these models but I haven't. They are going to be similar in many ways.

I assume the horn is the same all the way through.

4: 2x 8" active woofers, rear PR
4.2: 10" active woofer, front 10" PR
4.5: 2x10" active woofers, ported

There are going to be some differences in the bass end of the spectrum with these configurations. The 4's have to be out from the wall a bit to let that rear PR breathe. Frankly my 4.2's sounded best out in the room too, although it was at someone else's house and with a different amp. I just don't have the space to bring them out more than a few inches. Would be interesting to compare FR graphs for all three, I haven't seen them all together. And of course listening is worth a thousand stats. My money is on good fresh caps and Ti diaphragms making at least as much difference as which model you have.

I'm 6" away from the front wall with my KG4, no problem. The PR is more for cabinet tuning, then for reproducing bass, but it does produce bass (obviously).

I don't think there are going to be big differences. You would think the later iterations would be better...I've only had 4.5 and 5.5's. the original kg-4 might be not as good as imaging because of the wider baffle... I don't think it's worth looking for the other models, I would focus on caps and diaphragms if you want to keep these, and placement then you'll love them.

I have heard them all, but never really did any comparisons. There were too many of the big Klipsches around to spend that much time investigating. I tend to slightly favor the original, but thought they were all good for the money at the time, and agree with brybob's conclusion that differences are not profound.

ok, thank you all for good info given. I'll keep the KG4s :)

One other thing: my KG4s are 4-ohm, but I read some posts that there are 6-ohm units too. Just curious as to why?

Back
Top Bottom