Koss ESP 9 & ESP 6

calman46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Finally getting to repairing these headphones . The ESP 9 are just about done .New cushions and I put in new foam in the cans and my energizer unit had two 4uf/25v NP electrolytic caps I replaced with ES 4.7uf /50v . I'm waiting for a new AC jack(IEC) for the unit and will have to extent the headphone cord . They sound very good. Changing the foam inside the cans is a must ,the difference was amazing .
I'm doing the foam inside the 6A's now and will most likely build that T3 box , these phones seem to like the speaker terminals . IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0508.JPG

The foam removal looks messy, what did you use for foam? I have a pair of 9.b's I bought a few years ago, except for the weight, they do sound really good. They still
have the original tag on them. I probably should change the caps someday.

I rebuilt a set the same way several years ago...new foam, probably the same foam you used. It is what I had. And I stuffed pillow stuffing in the ear pads after cleaning the oil out, sealed them up with black electrical tape as a temp measure and they feel just fine. I cut slits in the back so the smooth original portion is against the ear.
Did the replacement cushions from Koss fit good?
Great sound quality. A little hum so that is something to work on.

@ jcamero, Did you get original manual for the 9.b with your set?

Yes the cushions from Koss fit . I need to make my headphone cord longer and don't want to look for the extension cord . I have some Belden 5 conductor shielded wire that is close to the original . The plug doesn't unscrew I don't really want disconnect it form the cup ( don't want to ruin that wire restrain on the cup) .From Stereophile..........
The 5½' cable is rather stiff and a bit awkward to handle, and the length was judged barely adequate to provide freedom of movement. A 9' extension for the phones-to-supply cable is available (at unspecified but presumably nominal cost), but its use causes a noticeable attenuation of high-frequency response (estimated at 3dB loss at 10kHz). However, since most samples of the ESP-9s sound just a shade ug at the high end and a shade down when using the 9' extension, this raises the possibility of getting perfectly flat response from them by using half the length of the extension (by cutting it and reconnecting one plug to the shortened end). We did not investigate this further, but see no reason why it would not work. There would be a loss of output at frequencies above about 12kHz, but the phones' extraordinary performance throughout the entire rest of the audio range is worth far more than a small loss at the extreme top.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/koss-esp-9-electrostatic-headphones#HPJF5eDlWg4WscJI.99

So I'm considering splicing in a 5' section .I'm not big of splicing cable ,but ...$$$. After the splicing ,shrink tubing I think I'll tried sliding some surgical tubing over the complete run . I hope I remember to put it on before I solder the splice .

I recently dismantled my ESP-9 and dropped the parts... anyone able to share now the bolts and nuts should be reassembled? :(

Back
Top Bottom