KrautNotRice

Hi AK,
Welcome to Kraut's new listening space build log. I will be chronicling the build of my current system into this new space, sharing the progress and pictures with all to comment, critique, share their advice.

About the space:
I recently moved into an older, large building that my dad bought. I'm helping my dad full time to restore the building. Our living area is the upstairs which features solid, hard yellow Pine wood floor (1950's). I actually just got done restoring about 700 sq ft of this floor (including my room). Now that the drywall and ceiling are also done, I'm moving my stuff into my new 16 x 18 sq ft room. Yes my bedroom is in my listening room (not the other way around haha). I'm tailoring the layout of this room around the stereo system's needs.

About my history with stereo equipment:
I acquired my first real system when I was 15 and living in Germany, this was the late 90's. My uncle was (is) a serious 90's Technics nut, so he helped me pick the (lightly pre-owned) gear:

Technics SU-V620 (1995) integrated amp 100 wpc
technics_su-v620.jpg

Technics SL-PG570A (1995) cd player
technics_sl-pg570a.jpg

The two components matched and looked great together.
Then I sourced a pair of German Heco Ascada 220 (1997) speakers brand new old stock on sale:
Heco.Ascada.220.jpg

Heco.Ascada.220.1.jpg

Active sub: Magnat Alpha 30a (1999) (our neighbors LOVED me):

Magnat.Alpha.30a.jpg

I had to source the pics online, unfortunately I don't have any pics of this setup.
It sounded great and was fantastic for me at the time. The Hecos were a 3 way bandpass with (I think) a 7" woofer.

A year later I moved to the States and have since owned a number of different brands' components, speakers, pro audio equipment, DJ gear and countless subs and about 10 car systems.
Most of the speakers I've owned were studio monitors, so I've gotten really spoiled with great detail and clarity, something that leaves me wishing oftentimes when I audition home audio speakers.

About my current system:
I bought these Teac Reference 500 series components (early 2000's) when i was 16 or 17 and already lived in the States. They've been with me for the last 16 or so years no matter what other gear I've gone through. They're simply fantastic!
Amp: Teac A-H500
Cd: Teac PD-H500
Tape: R-H500
I did at some point even try out the matching Teac LS-H500 speakers when I saw them cheap on ebay but they sounded offensively bad. In fact, Simon Cowell would've called them 'utterly atrocious'. At that time I've had several different pairs of studio monitors and other good speakers as well, plus all my brother's sets in the same house. We really gave the Teac speakers a fair shot, but compared to anything else we had they were simply 'rubbish', so I junked them.

For the last 10 or so years, I've had the Jamo E825 (2006 / 7) bookshelves hooked up to the Teac with a variety of different powered subs over the years. Those little Jamos have done me well and I'll never get rid of them. They're not as bright as studio monitors but they're musical and pleasant to listen to.

However, I recently came across a good deal on a set of NHT SuperTwo (1999) towers in GREAT condition and snagged them up. My brother's owned a number of NHTs and has always spoken highly of the brand, and I always wanted some floor standers.
These are my first ever floor standers! I'm absolutely in LOVE with the NHTs. For those not familiar, they're a 3 way design with a 1" soft dome tweeter, 6.5" mid bass (both Foster / Fostex units) plus a down-firing 6.5" Peerless sub. The sub's airspace is separate from the tweet and mid and accounts for the lower 2/3 of the total tower, low-passed at 120 hz. So it's pretty much a NHT SuperOne slapped on top of a ported sub. It works :)
The NHTs are very bright, revealing, crystal clear, dynamic with lots of bass. To me they sound like a studio monitor with the treble turned up a smidge. Very, very nice to my ears.
They ALMOST don't even need a sub. But I like subs and I'm building a DIY 15" JBL right now (low budget). More on that later.

Since I picked up the NHTs I realized (from reading lots of reviews) that I need about triple the power behind them than my little Teac can give them. The Teac, at 50 wpc 8 ohms, actually sounds great with them at reasonable levels so far, but I'd rather be careful and do the right thing. See how easy it was to talk myself into a power amp? :)
I've been looking for power amps in the 150 - 200 wpc 8 ohm segment. I'm on a tight budget, so that rules out a lot of the nicer stuff (Adcom GFA 555, H/K Citation 16, Yamaha M2 or dual M4s running bridged, etc).
I was days away from pulling the trigger on 2 new Dayton Audio APA-150 'mono blocks'. They're not really mono blocks but I was going to bridge them for 150 watts 8 ohm going to each tower.
That's when lots of reading and research lead me to the vintage Yamaha pro audio amps, mainly the P2200 and P2201 (late 70's). They're still out of my price range, but trying to find a deal on one of those, I ended up finding a brand new in box (new old stock) Yamaha P1600 (1997) pro audio power amp. 160 wpc 8 ohm should do nicely, with a chance that it's slightly underrated like lots of Yamaha pro amps.
Unfortunately the Teac integrated amp doesn't feature pre-outs (wth) so I needed an affordable, sorta matching preamp.
I don't love the looks of the 80's Yamaha preamps with the fold down lid, I really love the C-2 series (late 70's).
I found an amazing deal on a Yamaha C-2 preamp (1976) in near MINT condition. I still can't believe my luck, the thing doesn't even have a scratch on it, it looks so new nobody would ever guess it's made in 1976 - 78.

At this point I'm setting up my new listening space, building new furniture for everything out of affordable wood. I have a modest vinyl collection that I might incorporate into the new stand, even though I don't have a turntable right now (had a few different DJ decks over the years), I'm saving up for a U-Turn Orbit. I just can't make up my mind which damn color looks best to me and next to my other equipment...

I apologize for the lengthy intro and I'll be sure to mostly let the pictures do the talking in future posts.
Right now I only have a couple low quality Sony point-and-shoot pics of my old and new gear together, I need to learn how to use my DSLR (Canon Rebel XTi).

Family.Portrait.JPG

The Teac tape deck is missing in these shots as it's downstairs in the wood shop for sizing. It sends its regards.

Yamaha.C-2.JPG

My next posts will be mainly build pics of the audio furniture / diy sound treatments plus shots of the room as it develops.
Thanks for looking!
Please let me know if the pics are showing up or if something went wrong.

Great start! I look forward to following your journey. I'm interested to see where it takes you because this comes at a time when I'm looking to do the same.:lurk:

Great start! I look forward to following your journey. I'm interested to see where it takes you because this comes at a time when I'm looking to do the same.:lurk:

Glad to have ya!
The first and easiest piece of 'furniture' is almost done, the wooden base for the Yamaha power amp.
It's made out of 1" thick edge glued pine, cut down to size, edges rounded over with a 1/2" round-over bit, then 3 coats of polyurethane with block sanding in between coats. This base will be resting on hockey pucks (with closed cell foam on top and bottom of pucks) on the wood floor.

AmpShelf.1.JPG

AmpShelf.2.JPG

AmpShelf.3.JPG

AmpShelf.4.JPG

The pics were taken while the second pu coat was drying.
Pine and hockey pucks are great for this low budget build as it's easy to get, easy to work with and cheap.
The hockey pucks / foam ordered from Lee Valley Tools, should be here in a few days:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67844&cat=1,43456,43465

Nice pieces & project!

Rome

Thanks, Rome!
The vintage lamp I'm incorporating into the new stereo stand arrived today. It's a Dazor model 3612 (1960's), made in USA.
Ultimately, once I get a turntable, it will shine on it.

A-H500:PD-H500.JPG

The lamp shade and base are made of metal which I really like. It uses 12V automotive lamps, has High & Low settings. It's on Low in that picture and gives off a very warm, dim light. Perfect. Depending on the color of my future turntable, I might refinish the lamp in a different color. It's brown right now.

Nice. Enjoy.

very cool!

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!
Today I 'made' some DIY speaker cables. I've considered getting some decent, entry level speaker cable like banana plug terminated BlueJeans ($70), but at the end of the day it just wasn't in the budget. Maybe later.
But I DID have lots of left over speaker cable / TechFlex / heat shrink from the recent car stereo build. The cable's cheap 'Hitron' brand '12' ga, but actually more like 16 ga or so, you'll see in some of the pictures.
I wanted at least a real 14 ga for the NHTs so I decided I'll just double up on the stuff, TechFlex it, terminate it with banana plugs and call it done for now.
From the new amp to the NHTs the cables need to be 6', so first I cut 4 x 6' runs.

IMG_0711.JPG

These are the MediaBridge banana plugs I got on amazon, they're the locking type, all metal and have a very solid feel to them.

IMG_0709.JPG

To fit two cables per plug they needed to be stripped asymmetrically:

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

Copper strands folded over the 'crown', ready to be locked down:

IMG_0730.JPG

Assorted heat shrink sizes in red, black and clear:

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

First cable done. Feels very solid.

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

Both runs done... It's not perfect, but I literally had everything needed to make these laying around including the 'snake' TechFlex.

IMG_0739.JPG

Last edited:
Cables look great - hear any improvements?

I'm curious too...do you hear a difference?

They sound great, but I didn't notice a difference to the old cable, which is really thin lamp cord style stuff. To be fair, I didn't do a back to back comparison, there was 24 hours in between and it was only at low volume levels. I'll do a back to back tonight and see if I can hear any difference. Maybe it's only noticeable at reference levels. What do you guys think?

They sound great, but I didn't notice a difference to the old cable, which is really thin lamp cord style stuff. To be fair, I didn't do a back to back comparison, there was 24 hours in between and it was only at low volume levels. I'll do a back to back tonight and see if I can hear any difference. Maybe it's only noticeable at reference levels. What do you guys think?
You're right. It's at reference level that if there is a difference you'll hear it.

I personally went from 16 to 12 Guage wire and noticed a huge improvement in sound quality. That may come from my experience in critical listening. I competed in Sound Quality car competitions for years before converting to the home stuff. In car stereo your ears become sensitive to the slightest change in sound. If not, you find yourself ripping an install back out to find the issue.

Anyway, let us know the results!

The new interconnects arrived today. Since the pro audio Yamaha amp has 1/4" or XLR inputs, I needed an rca interconnect to 1/4" (far left).
I chose the HOSA Pro line because it's shielded and fit into my budget. HOSA is pretty common in studios and pro audio, I don't know how good their Pro line is but I hope it'll do the trick. The rca connectors are REAN brand and claim to be silver coated.
These cables were around $15 each, I know you can spend 100's more.

If anybody has experience with these cables I would love to hear it, good or bad. Thx!

IMG_0759.JPG

I chose the HOSA Pro line because it's shielded and fit into my budget... These cables were around $15 each, I know you can spend 100's more. Thx! (Bold and italics per KDAC)
View attachment 806939
You're welcome and welcome to Audiokarma. During this past summer, I purchased and have been more than satisfied with a pair of Hosa Technology's MCL-103 XLR cables to run the input signal from my pre-amp to my power amp. They cost $12.58 each and simply get the job done. Fitting gear/accessories into your budget is the way to go.

P.S. I love the look of the homemade pine/hockey puck support structures.

The Yammie looks Yummy!! :)

Yes!!! I love it!

You're welcome and welcome to Audiokarma. During this past summer, I purchased and have been more than satisfied with a pair of Hosa Technology's MCL-103 XLR cables to run the input signal from my pre-amp to my power amp. They cost $12.58 each and simply get the job done. Fitting gear/accessories into your budget is the way to go.

P.S. I love the look of the homemade pine/hockey puck support structures.

Thank you! That's great to hear you're liking your Hosas. I've always loved the look of stand-alone wooden bases for power amps.

Small, initial review of the new gear:
Last night was my first listening session with this brand new Yamaha amp, the vintage preamp, the all new interconnects.
My source was the Teac CD player.
First, I played the first Dire Straits album (just got it) on the Teac amp as a 'before'.
I powered up the Yamaha preamp and amp about an hour or so before playing music through them.
Once I switched over from the Teac amp to the Yamaha pre + amp + new cables, starting the CD over, I was initially a little disappointed:
The sound was a bit flat, missing the top end sparkle, sounded dull and boring. I remember thinking "Oh no".
By the 6th or 7th song I remember thinking "OH! the sparkle is back!" The crystal clear highs were all of a sudden not just present, but detailed as ever.
By the time the album was over, I actually liked the album more than the first time I listened to it.

Next CD was Ray LaMontagne's 'God Willing And The Creek Don't Rise'. Great album and recording quality btw.
I've listened to this album a few times within the last week on the Teac, so I'm very familiar with it.
The sound was great, I feel like the amp's warmed up by now and everything's as it's supposed to be.
About half way through the album my jaw starting dropping when the sound seemingly all of a sudden got several more dimensions / layers added to it.
The music became alive and animated, so fluid, all of a sudden the sound stage became way wider than the speakers, it's like it 'opened up'.
I started hearing sounds and nuances I did not hear previously that added to the listening experience tremendously and the music seemed to 'almost come from all directions' like I was all of a sudden immersed into the song.
It was magical.

I understand I was experiencing 'at the least' the new amp starting to break in. I don't know if it had anything to do with the preamp warming up as it hasn't been played in a couple months, or the brand new interconnects, or the new speaker wire being driven to reference levels for the first time.
All I know is I couldn't fall asleep afterwards because I was so excited about how good it all sounded together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom