Kryptonite cable lock jammed; how to clear?

AdamAnt316

Collector of heavy things
Subscriber
Hello, everyone. Barely a month ago, I bought a Kryptonite 1018 cable lock to secure a motor scooter. I'm not sure how often it's been used since then, probably a few times. Earlier this week, when trying to unlock it, the key wouldn't turn at all. I checked Kryptonite's website, namely this page and this one. The key is the correct one, and neither of the keys which came with the lock worked. Neither one is at all bent or worn. The key seems to go in all the way into the slot, yet it refuses to budge.

They do suggest applying lubricant; does what I use have to be the "Finish Line" graphite-based lubricant they mention, or could I use something liquid-based, like Tri-Flow? I'm mainly concerned with not voiding the warranty; granted, it'd seem to be difficult to claim the warranty on a jammed lock which is currently securing a motor scooter to a lamp post, but still. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks in advance!
-Adam

Any chance there is dirt, sand or a foreign substance in the mechanism?

Might try tapping it on the cement to see if anything can be dislodged while cycling the key in and out.

Any chance there is dirt, sand or a foreign substance in the mechanism?

Might try tapping it on the cement to see if anything can be dislodged while cycling the key in and out.
From the outside, the lock looks clean. I'll see if I can manage enough slack to try tapping it on the asphalt, but since it's securing the scooter to a post, there isn't really too far to go with it. Would the Tri-Flow I mentioned above be a good choice to try lubricating it with? As I said, the lock was purchased barely a month ago, so one wouldn't think it could've seized up so quickly, but here we are..... :dunno:
-Adam

Got a grinder with a cutoff wheel? It'll void the warranty but you will get your scooter back at least.

The manual specifically recommends against using WD-40, since it's a solvent rather than a lubricant, and would flush out whatever lubricant is in there. Nevertheless, I'll keep it in mind.
Maybe some brat kid has poured super glue in it?
Possible, I suppose, though I'd tend to think the key wouldn't go all the way into the lock mechanism if something like that had been poured into it. As it stands, the key fits fine, but the lock acts as if the wrong key has been inserted.
Got a grinder with a cutoff wheel? It'll void the warranty but you will get your scooter back at least.
Yeah, I'm considering that (or a set of bolt-cutters) as an option if worse comes to worse. Would rather not have to, since the lock wasn't particularly cheap (and is still fairly new), but we shall see.
-Adam

Maybe check with a local locksmith?

Probably not a bad idea to have some proof of ownership with you if you decide to cut the lock. I can see where law enforcement might get the wrong idea ...

Bolt cutters generally won't cut cable.

Back in the days when freon was cheap, a small can would freeze it enough to whack it with a hammer and shatter it.

Maybe check with a local locksmith?

Probably not a bad idea to have some proof of ownership with you if you decide to cut the lock. I can see where law enforcement might get the wrong idea ...
Yeah, it's a possibility. I still have the original receipt which came with the lock, if worse comes to worse.
Looks like an easy lock to pick.

Yeah, not entirely surprised. The packaging for the lock helpfully gives it a security rating of 1 out of 10. :rolleyes: As the old saying goes, locks only keep out honest people..........
Bolt cutters generally won't cut cable.

Back in the days when freon was cheap, a small can would freeze it enough to whack it with a hammer and shatter it.
Good to know, thanks. I have an old can of R-12 somewhere, though I'd rather not give the ozone hole any more of an excuse to widen, as my pasty skin has enough issues with sunburn as it is.......... :oops:
-Adam

Send the R12 to me, I'll send you a can of computer duster that you can turn over to get the same job done.

I know this sounds odd, but five years ago the lock on my back sliding door was almost impossible to open. Not having anything good for locks around, I gave something a try. I took some of my Faderlube 100% and drizzled some on my key and put the key into the lock. Almost instantly the lock came loose and opened. In all these years it is still a slick as could be. If you have either of the Fader products, F5 or F100, give them a try. It couldn't hurt.

I know this sounds odd, but five years ago the lock on my back sliding door was almost impossible to open. Not having anything good for locks around, I gave something a try. I took some of my Faderlube 100% and drizzled some on my key and put the key into the lock. Almost instantly the lock came loose and opened. In all these years it is still a slick as could be. If you have either of the Fader products, F5 or F100, give them a try. It couldn't hurt.
I have used faderlube in my back doorknob when it was sticking a little. Worked like a charm!

Its all some flavor of mineral oil. I've actually dripped a bit of the oil I use on cutting boards onto keys and stuffed them into locks before. Its not cutting board oil either, its the stuff sold at a pharmacy for laxative use. Lubes the s**t out of door locks though.

I use graphite for locks- I always was told oil was a no-no as it congeals with dust etc.

I must admit I've also taken a liking to silicone spray in lock mechanisms and door latches- seems to last a very long time and is completely dry after a few seconds. And we have a few pivoting shower screens that squeak really loud on the nylon hinge pin bush- silicone spray kills the noise (even in the presence of all that water) for about 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom