Kyocera A 910 monster saved

SkyRanger

A year or so ago I became aware of Kyocera gear. I was impressed enough to buy a reconditioned PL 701 turntable from a local AKer (jnoyes). I have loved the turntable, paired with a PrimaLuna tube amp and my Paradigm Signature 2 speakers (in my small study/listening room). I began to look around for some more Kyocera gear to feed my new hobby of vintage gear.

Last month I found a Kyocera A 910 integrated amp on the 'bay from a respected seller and was able to win the auction. Unfortunately the box, which showed no external damage, must have been dropped from a high spot somewhere. The amp looked okay externally except for a crack on the left wooden panel. When I hooked it up, there was no left channel and the right channel quickly went dead. I did not want to send this back to the seller since my chances of finding another 910 I could afford were slim and none. Fortunately I had become acquainted with local AKer and ace tech rbuckner. He agreed to take on the project to see if he could save the amp.

GG

Bummer, the thought of shipping or having shipped to me a heavy item, or anything delicate scares the hell outta me.

At the moment I am listening to Tierney Sutton, Dancing in the Dark, a Telarc CD. I do not have the proper audiophile vocabulary or skills to describe what I am hearing, but it is giving me chills.

This is a high quality, 150w monster integrated amp which is making beautiful music. It is certainly a worthy companion to my high quality PrimaLuna. I am a lucky guy!!

Thanks, Jon, for hooking me up with the PL 701 and Randy for your super tech work. These two local AKers are great guys!

GG

Needless to say, trust rbuckner with any repair you have in mind. He does specialize in Marantz.

BTW, would love to have an owner's manual for the A910. Hifiengine had the service, but not the owner's manual. Anyone know where I can find one? I have struck out so far.

GG

Last edited:
Here is the A 910 sitting next to its "competition," a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated amp.

IMG_0748.JPG

Below the 910 is a Kyocera R 461 integrated amp which was in our bedroom but is now being used in preamp mode as a FM tuner.

GG

They never made much of a splash locally, but one audio dealer carried them, and I always admired the looks of their components. They stood out among all the silver- and black-faced generic stuff out there. Kyocera's name actually originated from KYOto CERAmics, as I recall, so this must have been an offshoot of a much older company.

Another I like the looks of are those early 80s Harman/Kardon components that had the frosted silver-ish (with maybe a hint of gold?) front panels. My CD301 tape deck is one such critter. The Revox style from that same era was also another head turner for me.

Would love to find a Kyocera A710 or A910. I suspect either one would be terrific sounding. A local AKer has a PL-701 and it is one sweet table.

I am very pleased with the musicality of the 910. Today has been jazz and Mozart piano concerti. Wonderful!
I think the number of members in the 710 or 910 club is very small based on the few that I have seen advertised in a year. (Or maybe the owners just don't let them go!)
The PL 701 also is a great midrange TT. I have a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cart on it, and the combo is excellent. (Thanks again to AKer jnoyes for reconditioning this table.)
GG

Back
Top Bottom