Kyocera DA-01 (1st Gen) CD player issues

MHzTweaker

So I have been putting together a 1980's Kyocera stack for a couple years now.
I couple weeks ago I purchased a very clean DA-01 vertical door loading 1st generation CD player made in 1983.

I have made some progress with it. The most obvious issue with it was a missing belt on the laser sled transport mechanism. I have a proper 4.3 inch drive belt installed now. I removed the transport and cleaned old grease and oil from the brass spiral gear, sled rail sliders, and various other shafts and bearings.

The behavior of this players is "ODD". It is odd in that the laser sled will not seek the TOC on its own or respond to any track selection numbers being pushed on the front panel. However..... if I manually spin the motor gear with my fingers moving the sled into the first track or anywhere else on the disc, hit the PLAY button followed by FF, the disc will start playing at any position I manually move the laser to. It continues to play the entire disc, song after song after I do this. NEXT TRACK button or PREVIOUS TRACK does not move the sled. Trying to REWIND, or seeking in reverse using the RW button does not work..... BUT.... I can press FF, hold it down and the sled will move forward until I release the button or reach the end of the disc. Very bizarre. Possibly could the motor not be producing enough torque or receiving enough voltage?

I have made an inventory of capacitors for the power supply. Would it be a good idea to recap the 39 year old power supply? It is full of the old light blue Shoei caps. The person I bought the player from said he has had it for many years, it sat on a shelf for over a decade and it just did not work the next time he tried to use it.

I have 2)DA-410cx and a DA-310cx. They are nice units and sound good to my ears. The problem I've had with them is they weren't designed to play a longer than 72 minute CD as the earliest CDs didn't contain as much information. That, and the lube on the worm gear that moves the "sled" gums up and gets hard over time. It's very tedious, but I've had to remove the grease with a solvent and a q-tip and then re-lube with a very light coating of quality bearing grease.

The problem is described in the first post.
I found that negative -3.3 DC voltage (reverse motor movement) was measured at Test Point 502 (TP502) in the schematic but voltage was not making it to the wiring harness where the SLED motor connects. The left limiter switch was smashed and broken. I moved the switch on the right to the left side and shorted the wires on the right while I wait for a substitute switch to install on the right side of the sled (EOD detection). I have a very detailed post on another site with many photos where I was interacting with members there along with a thread on the Vintage CD player group on Facebook. I also own the DA-710CX.

Back
Top Bottom